• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New to BCF, not to BCs

njunear

Freshman Member
Bronze
Country flag
Greetings all;

Paul here. Here is East Tennessee. Winter is coming so it is time to get ready to figure out what part of my garage floor I shall grace with car parts and fluids. We are proud owners of a 1962 Austin Healey 3000 Mk II (BT7-II Tri Carb). A 'driver,' but, well, isn't that the point of owning these things? We have had the car for coming on 22 years and look forward many, many more to come.

First foray into British cars was in the mid 70's when I had a '71 Triumph GT6 Mk III. Blew the motor up and sold it soon after it got back on the road. Gee, that was a fun six months......

I have consulted this forum off and on for a while but finally decided to join and look forward to contributing as I can.

See you on the road.......

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_0134.jpg
    IMG_0134.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0135.jpg
    IMG_0135.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0132.jpg
    IMG_0132.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0136.jpg
    IMG_0136.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 19

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Glad you finally joined in the fun, Paul! We "might" have a few other folks from your neck of the woods on here too! Be sure to say hello over on the Austin Healey forum too - a great bunch of folks.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Welcome, Paul, from Townsend!

Nice Healey - I noticed the setting for your pictures and the plates on the car. Are you a Texas transplant?

OP
njunear

njunear

Freshman Member
Bronze
Country flag
Thank you Mickey. Not technically a Texas transplant - more of a Texas 'pass-through.' We bought the Healey when we lived in Knoxville (basically my home since 1976) but took a corporate move to San Antonio in 2000. Found a set of matched '62 Texas plates and had them assigned to the car through the DMV. Egro the plates on the car in the pictures in Lukenbach and Boerne. Moved back to Knoxville in 2002 and kept the plates on the car. Although I do have the full Tennessee registration and license plate in the boot, I have been driving around ever since with Texas plates. Maybe if I stumble into a set of '62 Tennessee plates I will change them out.

p

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Be careful. If Tennessee has a personal property tax like CT, if the car is principally garaged in TN with "foreign" plates, they will hit you up for back taxes if you're caught. Happened to a well-known divorce lawyer when a disgruntled ex-husband notified the MVD and the Town of New Canaan. Cost him quite a few $$$$.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Paul -
Very familiar with the area. Grandmother lived in San Antone (proper pronunciation... :jester:) and aunt and uncle in Comfort. Spent many vacations in the late fifties/early sixties at their house near Cypress Creek.

OP
njunear

njunear

Freshman Member
Bronze
Country flag
Got the legal aspect of car registration covered. it is properly licensed, taxed, insured, garaged and tagged in the state and save for the fact that I still display the Texas tags with the Tennessee one in the boot, I'm good. And considering that Tennessee is not all that concerned with sniggly little details, i should be good for a while. Hey, it has lasted this way for about seventeen years.....

We did enjoy our time in San Antone. The hot weather wasn't all that bad as it doesn't have the Houston or Gulf Coats humidity. And the ability to drive year round with the top down makes up for it. Roads up in the hill country were nice, but aside from the lack of traffic there I will take the roads in the hills of East Tennessee over them.