• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Welcome to the Future.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Electric cars that need to rest 24 hours after every 250 miles. And High Performance Summer Only Tires that can only be driven 6 months out of the year.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Electric cars that need to rest 24 hours after every 250 miles. And High Performance Summer Only Tires that can only be driven 6 months out of the year.

Yikes - 24 hour rest after 250 miles? Where'd you find that?

thanks.
Tom M.

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
I realize it wasn’t very precise but I’m hearing about 250 miles to a full charge. And with the performance that these motors can generate I’m assuming they will start coming out with the ultra high performance tires that are “summer only”
tires. Such as the Michelin pilot super sports. Recommended not to drive them below 40 or 50 degrees. And definitely don’t drive them below 20 degrees. They will crack. What happen to the days when u drove your sports car all year round in any kind of weather.

Country flag
Ah, the days of a fan pretending to be a heater and an uninsulated convertible top that did little more than keep that windter wind and rain off the top of your head. I do enjoy driving with the top down in summer, but there's something to be said for being warm and dry in January...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Never wanted for heat in the cabin of MGB's. Had to dial it back sometimes in Pennsylvania winter conditions.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
That was Tesla first problem: distance. The new Jag and Rovers, same problem. Now Jag, Land Rover are teaming up with BMW and putting resources up to lengthen the time. But what happens to power generation plants if everyone wants to plug in 2-3 cars. Shutting power off in California for fires, so garge doors dead and dead cars.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
What'll we do with all those dead batteries in a decade or so?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
There's a ho-lada problems with battery production and disposal that few folks talk about.

How environmentally friendly is the manufacturing process? it isn't.

What happens to the old batteries? not pretty.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
There's a ho-lada problems with battery production and disposal that few folks talk about.

How environmentally friendly is the manufacturing process? it isn't.

What happens to the old batteries? not pretty.

My point. We're not 'there' yet.

I always considered hydrogen more viable as a fuel than about anything else. Only real issue I can think of with it is making the transfer process at the "end-users" point foolproof. Always some fool will come along and find a way to blow themselves up. :smirk:

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
My point. We're not 'there' yet.

I always considered hydrogen more viable as a fuel than about anything else. Only real issue I can think of with it is making the transfer process at the "end-users" point foolproof. Always some fool will come along and find a way to blow themselves up. :smirk:
When they make it foolproof, someone will invent a bigger fool.

D

Deleted member 8987

I dealt with rechargeable batteries for 25 years in my business. Avoided anything Lithium by 100%.
The damage to the environment to build a saleable electric vehicle is HUGE, but most of that damage is off-shore. Ignored by the greenies. The question asked here, and has been asked before, is what happens when all those batteries go bad?
China doesn't want them back.
Then the power grid. I remember discussions about this saying if 25% of the cars are electric, the grid will be overloaded.
Then politic-speak took over, and you don't hear those discussions any more.

How you gonna take a trip from Seattle to LA with an electric car, with 250 mile range? Six days if you can get it charged overnight and don't die on the interstate.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I'll buy an electric car as my no. 1 vehicle when they can go 500 miles or more on a full charge in winter with heated seats and a heater on. Then I'll have to solve the problem of charging it when it has to sit outside all night if the Subaru and the Alfa are still occupying the garage. I'll have to use a 75' extension cord.

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
That was Tesla first problem: distance. But what happens to power generation plants if everyone wants to plug in 2-3 cars. Shutting power off in California for fires, so garge doors dead and dead cars.
Ah, u can always put a windmill in ur back yard.
Ya know, power lines don’t start fires. Tree & brush do. But tree hugging, eco geeks don’t let u trim the right-of-ways. Then wind blows the trees and overgrowth unto perfectly good power lines. There’s plenty of generation capacity available with clean natural gas AND CLEAN COAL Technology. The Marsella Shale gas deposites in Pa alone can power the US for about 300 years.

Country flag
Never wanted for heat in the cabin of MGB's. Had to dial it back sometimes in Pennsylvania winter conditions.

In the Alpine, if it was below freezing outside, it might be above inside when I was using it year round in my college days. One unrelated to heating story, back in January 78 we had a blizzard in Ohio and the car was parked outside. After it ended I opened the hood and the engine compartment was packed full of snow that had blown up inside. Molded to the inside framing of the hood. Took a weekend with heat to get everything thawed out so it would run...

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
One winter a few years ago I had to drive the Beetle to work for about a month. You really do have to carry an ice scraper with the VW in winter ... to scrape the inside of the windshield.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Ditto the Corvair I had. It was so cold one weekend in Vermont that I had to take out the battery and park it next to the radiator.

Country flag
I drove a 73 Beetle for a while back in the 80s. Had no heat since the hot air channels in the floorpan were rusted out. And when it was really humid and raining out it would condense on the inside of the roof and if you hit a bump, it was raining inside the car. Had to drill several holes in the floors as well to allow water that got in when it would sit a way out, you could have a couple inches otherwise. To be polite, I was not fond of that hunk of junk...

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I have four internal combustion engined cars.

An electric commuter car is not a terrible idea. It’s a lousy road trip car (although may not need 24 hours to charge; it depends on the charger.) For example in the frosty Northeast, my gasoline car takes 10-15 minutes before I’m toasty warm- electric cars have immediate heat. Obviously there is a big question on battery manufacture and disposal vs carbon emissions, but I’ll leave that to the scientists who have actually studied chemistry, fluid dynamics (ie weather and ocean currents), and the data. Not politicians!

And I’ve been changing from summer to winter tires for the past 20-odd years... I realize it is not necessary, but I believe (emphasis on belief, not know :smile:) that by switching I’m getting the best of both worlds. I like my Michelin Pilots in the twisties!

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Popeye, I appreciate your comments. If I may be allowed some tongue and cheek and maybe also some a little more serious comments?

I have four internal combustion engined cars.

Only Four?

An electric commuter car is not a terrible idea. It’s a lousy road trip car (although may not need 24 hours to charge; it depends on the charger.)
I have now seen some Teslas on Road Trips.

For example in the frosty Northeast, my gasoline car takes 10-15 minutes before I’m toasty warm- electric cars have immediate heat.
The more you use the juice the shorter the battery range.

Obviously there is a big question on battery manufacture and disposal vs carbon emissions, but I’ll leave that to the scientists who have actually studied chemistry, fluid dynamics (ie weather and ocean currents), and the data. Not politicians! Could be an issue. Who ya gonna believe?

And I’ve been changing from summer to winter tires for the past 20-odd years... I realize it is not necessary, but I believe (emphasis on belief, not know :smile:) that by switching I’m getting the best of both worlds. I like my Michelin Pilots in the twisties!

Unless your on a track I think your waisting your time. My new Vette has summer only tires.
( Michelin Pilot Super Sports, They came with the car.) I hate them. Couldn't drive the car right after i bought because the temps dropped into the 40s. Yeh I know, maybe, coulda, shoulda. But i wasn't taking any chances. Chevrolet and Michelin both recommended don't drive it. Below 20* they will crack. Who needs 'em. Do you think I notice the difference in my road driving between Summer Only Michelins and All Season. Not enough (if at all) to justify the messin with two sets.
Remember I would need fancy Corvette rims, tires and sensors, doubled.

I agree with you that the electrics are coming and will have some utility. But it exemplies the fact that we are now and more so in the future do not dictate what we would choose as are means of transportation. Especially when reality, and needs and means are so blown out of proportion.