• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New member and proud [gulp] new owner of 1973 Triumph TR6

nichola

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
I'm an ex-SCCA FF, FC, and FM racer and after finally hanging up the driving suit in 2006 I discovered withdrawals are a real thing when I didn't touch any tools for a few years. So I decided to build some old trucks for myself and a couple neighbors - 1948 1/2 ton Chevy; 1956 3/4 ton Chevy "farm truck;" and my own 1959 Apache. Another neighbor had been pressing me for years to get his derelict '73 TR6 (which had been sitting under a fabric car cover for thirteen years in his driveway) back on the road. I wasn't interested until he offered to sell it to me for $250 now and $250 if I sold it. Too tempting to pass up, so I bought it and had it hauled up to my house. In fact I'd been looking for a project for the garage at home instead of at our shop in Fallbrook.

I'm pleasantly surprised that, like in the case of old Chevy trucks, you can literally build one of these Triumphs from the ground up with parts readily available, even if more pricey than the truck stuff. After being completely unimpressed dealing with the ignition switch - PO lost the keys - I have come to admire the engineering of the car now that the drivetrain is out - engine at the machine shop - and the body is off the frame. Lots of problems to solve and rubber parts to replace and improvements to make, but I love going out to the garage at all hours of the day and fiddling with it. I admit that I got lucky in the rust department because although the driver and passenger floors and the trunk floor are getting fitted with new sheet metal, the frame is in great shape. The only issue is an apparent twist in the flexy frame which, in turn, has caused the body to settle into a twisted condition. It isn't much, but it is visually noticeable and measurable. I'm at the scratching my head stage with it until I get the front suspension pulled off (rear already gone) and can set the frame down on the garage floor. If I can manage I'll attach some random photos of the project so far.

Attachments

• bcf pic1.JPG
    bcf pic1.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 32
  • bcf pic2.JPG
    bcf pic2.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 35
  • bcf pic3.JPG
    bcf pic3.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 32
  • bcf pic4.JPG
    bcf pic4.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 33
  • bcf pic7.JPG
    bcf pic7.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 27
  • bcf pic8.JPG
    bcf pic8.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 29
  • bcf pic5.JPG
    bcf pic5.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 31
  • bcf pic6.JPG
    bcf pic6.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 29

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Welcome to the British Car Forum Nichola. Looks like you got a great car at a good price. The tinkering is only half the fun... you'll have a smile on your face when you get to drive it!
Head over to the "Triumph" section of the forum for knowledgable friendly help whenever you need it.
Be sure to check the box section of the trailing arms as it is a known area prone to rust. The '73 was a good year for the TR6.... and I'm partial to it :eagerness:
Also while the body is off the car you might consider a 5-speed conversion as it makes driving on the highways better at lower revs.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Hello Nichola

Welcome to the forum.

The Triumph section is very active and you are sure to get plenty of tips, help and advice there for your TR6 project.

A friend is doing a TR6 right now and he fitted up rated drive shafts/half shafts. Not sure where he got them but I am sure someone in the Triump section will know.

David

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hello Nichola

Welcome to the forum.

The Triumph section is very active and you are sure to get plenty of tips, help and advice there for your TR6 project.

A friend is doing a TR6 right now and he fitted up rated drive shafts/half shafts. Not sure where he got them but I am sure someone in the Triump section will know.

David
Here you go Nichola.... this is where you can get the uprated drive shafts and half shaft. Richard Good is a trusted TR6 supplier https://www.goodparts.com

Last edited:

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Silver
Country flag
Welcome to the forum.
i have a shop in Fallbrook and if you need anything let me know. I am a Moss motors distributor...if your require bits.

OP
nichola

nichola

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
Thank you. I will carefully inspect for rust everywhere on the frame. I have not seriously considered the 5 speed conversion, or the TR6 overdrive, but I will.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
It is amazing how much stuff you can find for these British Cars. I am a Divisional Grid/Pits worker in St. louis and would give sources to some of our British Car racers. I bought a 64 Valiant, made in St. Louis, and have had more problems getting parts, especially panels, than my 58 Jag (rare as it is) is easier to get parts for. Good luck on the 6, lots of Triumph info here. My wife drove a GT6 for 10 yrs to work and over 140,000 miles. Kept me busy on occasion, pretty reliable.

OP
nichola

nichola

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
It is amazing how much stuff you can find for these British Cars. I am a Divisional Grid/Pits worker in St. louis and would give sources to some of our British Car racers. I bought a 64 Valiant, made in St. Louis, and have had more problems getting parts, especially panels, than my 58 Jag (rare as it is) is easier to get parts for. Good luck on the 6, lots of Triumph info here. My wife drove a GT6 for 10 yrs to work and over 140,000 miles. Kept me busy on occasion, pretty reliable.

I love the Jags of that vintage. Regarding the resources for Triumphs and other Brit makes, I'm impressed that we have so many options for parts and advice. Quite a bit more pricey than the parts for the trucks I've rebuilt in the past few years, but still reasonable. I'm sure I'll have at least $7-8,000 worth of parts into this TR6 before I'm finished, not including paint. And that's probably low/wishful thinking.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Don't be afraid of ordering from England. Martin Robey gave me a discount, saved a ton from US prices and shipping and quicker. I use Ebay.UK a lot too, maybe shipping costs more but gets here quicker and no backorders. I learned from working in shops to circumvent retail and go tonthe manufacturers.

OP
nichola

nichola

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
A9EBC03F-3093-47A4-89F0-6E5A7625C9A9.jpg
Another head scratcher re my ā€˜73 TR6. I have done initial camber and toe adjustments at rear and have set a tiny bit of toe-in and near zero camber. I have adjustable brackets for camber and didnā€™t need any shims to get toe where I wanted it. But why all those unused shims that were there when I disassembled it???

OP
nichola

nichola

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
More photos of the project...

Attachments

• E6D540D9-A434-4ECC-B640-7C438571B820.jpg
    E6D540D9-A434-4ECC-B640-7C438571B820.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 3DB67C26-0425-473B-84BB-1ACAD8AFD0EF.jpg
    3DB67C26-0425-473B-84BB-1ACAD8AFD0EF.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 11315A26-2D45-4D1C-BC48-9B56538BD137.jpg
    11315A26-2D45-4D1C-BC48-9B56538BD137.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 24

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Looking good.
A very detailed setup.

You will get good advice if you post this in the Triumph section. I am sure others have been through the same exercise.

David

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
All your lines look good. Did the shims correct any frame damage or were they just there?

OP
nichola

nichola

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
All your lines look good. Did the shims correct any frame damage or were they just there?

The car took a hit at the right front wheel, apparently. No body damage so it was directly on the wheel like it was driven into a ditch or hit something immovable. I used a hydraulic ram to move the right front spring/shock tower about 3/8 inch outward. The rear spring tower assembly complete with the crossbrace also appear to be moved a little off center (toward the right side of the car) but I was able to get all four wheels pointed in the right direction with cambers and toe correct without using the shims.

Attachments

• pin bent.jpg
    pin bent.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 19
  • weld broke.jpg
    weld broke.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6530.jpg
    IMG_6530.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited: