• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

VDO Compatibility

olbugger

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hey Guys, once again I need to tap into your infinite wisdom. The PO had installed all VDO gauges in my Bugeye except the fuel gauge. I bought a matching 0-90 ohm VDO gauge and a replacement 0-90 ohm sending unit from Moss. I've had my gas tank out 3 times, which we all know is 3 times more than we want, to get it to work with no success. I've heard from a knowledgeable source, Morris Mintz, that I need a VDO sender to make it work. Problem is I didn't find a 0-90 ohm one and the mounting is different, 5 holes to 6 on my gas tank. Suggestions? Thanks

dklawson

Yoda
You should be able to use the Smiths 0-90 with the VDO 0-90. Morris may have been referring to another combination of gauges and senders.

However, as you pointed out, you don't want to take the tank out any more often than you have to. Therefore, bench test the setup. Use either your battery charger or the battery in your car as a power supply. The gauge will need its positive and negative terminals connected to your power supply respectively. Run a jumper from the gauge's ground terminal to the flange of the sending unit. Lastly, run a wire from the gauge's sending unit input to the insulated terminal on your sending unit. Power up and work the float arm through its range of motion while you observe the behavior of the gauge.