• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A LBCs, whatcha gonna do?

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I started on this forum thinking about a Bugeye Sprite or MGB for a rolling restoration and found the Bugeye first. I thought it would be a driver in short order, boy was I wrong! The more questions I asked the more involved it got and ended up being a bare metal restoration in its original configuration, but with a hot 1275 and 5 speed, VTOs, etc. This car reignited my passion for LBCs and I added a 1970 MGB and then a 1966 TR4A (Desert TR) in short order. I’ve also got 4 TR4/TR4As, 2 TR6s, and a 1975 International Scout II all waiting on either restoration or restomod. I even built a shop and equipped it with a lift, compressed air, parts washer, and just about every tool I could think of, all geared towards restoring and maintaining these heart throbs.
The purpose of this post is to ask your advice regarding what to do next. My lower back has finally given out and working on or driving these cars has become a near impossibility and I’m looking at my options. Surgery is inevitable and I’ll do well I’m sure, but my flexibility will suffer and I’ve got to make a decision about my babies. To sell is the only logical thing to do, but what’s the best way? I hate Craigslist, Facebook marketplace is ok, eBay or bring a trailer are options as well. Have any of you had experience on these sites and what would you recommend?
Thanks, Rut

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Flexibility...that's the biggie and what a lot of us have trouble maintaining...if it wouldn't be for that and arthritis getting old wouldn't be so bad.
Rut, maybe keep one to piddle with and sell or give away the rest..If any are driveable, BAT and ebay.
If just parts or rollers, then list them in the Forum classified.
Anyway, don't give up entirely on something you love, just slow down.... Good Luck

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Ken,
Yep, flexibility and body parts staying in their original place. I’m in a good position since I have a barn where the ‘pre resto’ cars live and a shop and garage where the drivers live, so I can sell at my leisure. I’m thinking BAT for the Bugeye and TR4a since they are in such good shape and probably in the spring for those people who want an open car. I can’t quit cold turkey and will buy a larger sports car with an auto transmission. I may start off selling the extra parts I have, running 1275, transmissions, 5 speed adapter plates, flywheels drilled for Datsun 5 speeds, rebuilt SU carbs, Advance built distributors, complete John Skinner leather interior with seat frames, etc.
Thanks, Rut

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I sold my TR3A on BaT last April and the whole thing went well, ending in a good deal for me and for the buyer.

If you have watched any BaT auctions then you'll know the key things to do & keep in mind:

Lots of photos - like 100. Maybe 200.

Good videos - cold start and driving under various conditions. I included a cold hand-crank start video for the 3, also a twisty mountain road and a rough, unpaved desert road.

Complete disclosure of everything, the good and the bad. The peanut gallery will vet the images pretty thoroughly and be merciless if they see something not mentioned and not right.

Write a compelling narrative telling the car's story & avoid meaningless puffery (e.g. 'The car was purchased from a dealer by the original owner').

BaT likes to keep the narrative short so they edited mine quite bit. They also removed some of the photos. I set up a website for the unedited narrative and the deleted photos for serious bidders to get more info.

The most important thing you can do is participate in the conversation. This is so much a part of the BaT format that bidders are (rightfully) wary of a seller who doesn't promptly respond to questions or volunteer more information.

The price (in case you haven't looked into it) is quite reasonable - $99 to list the car. The buyer pays a premium but no additional costs to the seller.

I set my reserve at the amount below which I would be very disappointed -- it went past that fairly quickly.

I have also sold cars on eBay and that was satisfactory but for a good car with a good story I would stick with BaT.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I sold my TR3A on BaT last April and the whole thing went well, ending in a good deal for me and for the buyer.

If you have watched any BaT auctions then you'll know the key things to do & keep in mind:

Lots of photos - like 100. Maybe 200.

Good videos - cold start and driving under various conditions. I included a cold hand-crank start video for the 3, also a twisty mountain road and a rough, unpaved desert road.

Complete disclosure of everything, the good and the bad. The peanut gallery will vet the images pretty thoroughly and be merciless if they see something not mentioned and not right.

Write a compelling narrative telling the car's story & avoid meaningless puffery (e.g. 'The car was purchased from a dealer by the original owner').

BaT likes to keep the narrative short so they edited mine quite bit. They also removed some of the photos. I set up a website for the unedited narrative and the deleted photos for serious bidders to get more info.

The most important thing you can do is participate in the conversation. This is so much a part of the BaT format that bidders are (rightfully) wary of a seller who doesn't promptly respond to questions or volunteer more information.

The price (in case you haven't looked into it) is quite reasonable - $99 to list the car. The buyer pays a premium but no additional costs to the seller.

I set my reserve at the amount below which I would be very disappointed -- it went past that fairly quickly.

I have also sold cars on eBay and that was satisfactory but for a good car with a good story I would stick with BaT.

George.

BaT should pay you for this post and distribute it to every one of their sellers as a guide how to sell on their platform. As a member of the Healey "Peanut Gallery" (sometimes to the chagrin of sellers) this is really excellent advice. Honesty in describing a car's flaws, great pictures and running videos, and an engaged seller are a must for selling a car there. If you have a POS, BaT is probably the last place to sell as it will be destroyed by the commenters, particularly if you try to hide the ball. (project cars excepted). But I think it's a great place to sell a good car without spending a lot on advertising to a very receptive audience. Just as the Peanut Gallery can devalue a bad car, it can also help a good car by reassuring a buyer who is not going to see the car in person that it looks like a good purchase.

malbaby

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Rut, It seems you are taking the sensible approach by reducing your inventory of cars and parts.
But I have always found that the sensible approach is not always the best in the long run, and can lead to regrets.
If you do not need spare cash, then I would hold off on a major sell, and only sell what you would definitely not be using in the future.
Surgery is always a daunting prospect, and I would see how I felt both physically and mentally post surgery, before selling things that are irreplaceable.
Everyone needs a compelling interest in life, especially as we get older. You can always pay someone to do the hard work for you in your fabulous garage, while still enjoying the involvement and planning.

Last edited:
OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Malbaby,
Thanks for the sound advice and I’m in a good place financially, but pretty down as I deal with the prospect of letting my babies go. No decision is needed at this time and I do have some car guy friends who can help. I’ve thought about cleaning out the barn over the last several months just to get rid of cars and parts I don’t think I’ll ever use. I’ve got a lot of soul searching to do.
thanks, Rut

malbaby

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You may be surprised on how many overseas buyers including me, search "Craigslist" for interesting cars. I have bought 5 off the site in the last few years.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Rut, I do hope things work out for you. It's good to have you here among us.

Have you considered doing something totally heretical, but practical, like putting different seats in one or two of your favorite cars? The stock seats in these cars vary from OK down to torture devices, and it's possible to get better ones. I have heard that some people put Miata seats into Bugeye sprites, for example.

I also agree strongly with Malbaby's comments. I think he provides a lot of wisdom.