• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

computer security

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I realize we have had versions of this conversation before, but, recently got a new laptop - HP. very pleased with it and soooooo much faster.

It came loaded with MacAfee - which they now want me to buy.

My last computer had Kaspersky - which was just a little to Russian for me.

I also had Avast at one point and also CCleaner.

If I search the interweb, they say the security in Windows 10 is sufficient - not sure I believe them, but, not 100% convinced the others are any better.

any thoughts?

and while we are at it - any thoughts on VPNs?

D

Deleted member 8987

My neighbor works for F5 Networks. Security stuff.
He tells me I am safer with XP and a decent AV than I would be with 10 and the BEST AV.

I dumped McAfee when I had 95. Norton went shortly thereafter.

We would get notices that the particular website was trying to download nasty stuff on our computer and did we want to allow it?
What they both were really saying was they let it through, you're hosed, and this is just a notice to let you know.

CCleaner every night.
DeFraggler every week or so.
Spyware Blaster.
ESET AV until they quit XP.
AVAST and AVG are the same company now, not very good, but they work.
It's like owning a motorcycle. It's not if you're going to crash, it's when.

I have TCP View if I want to see what incoming and outgoing, and Process Explorer to keep track of heavy usage.

Computers basically stay on. Shut down browsers when Process Explorer shows too high a usage, CCleaner, restart browsers.

Desktop went 60 days last time until a power outage.
Wife's gets shut down every night (her choice).

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I was a network manager for about 25 years (Windows, Mac, Unix, etc.). Here at home I've used Windows built-in security systems for over ten years with no computer problems. I think that's sufficient unless you spend the day playing on the net, visiting spurious sites, peer to peer file sharing, online communication "apps", downloading and playing games, etc.

Windows Security comes with Windows, is pretty comprehensive, automatically updates and scans, etc.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4013263/windows-10-stay-protected-with-windows-security

Just my two cents.
Tom M.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I use Advance System Care Pro. They have a free version that works very well and it will give one a chance to see how the system works before upgrading if you wish. The pro version has a few more features and is faster. It has a driver booster for download, a super uninstall program and a defrag program that recognizes and automatically resets itself for SSD drives. I've used it for 10 years and have no complaints.

I also use Classic Shell menu program, which gives you the older style start button and menu.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
A thumbs up for CCleaner, it rids Winblows machines of unnecessary temp files and registry clutter. And AVG has been fair to good for me and clients as an AV warez app for over a decade. But nothing beats a firewall appliance between the provider's modem/router and your "inside" systems. Aside from only allowing only the data you invite into the 'house' it shows up as ONE machine to the IP, no matter if you have one or one hundred machines behind it. No response to outside PINGs, can selectively block specific IP addresses, open or close ports to set up your own VPN, logs all attempted intrusions... just good security protocol.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
But nothing beats a firewall appliance between the provider's modem/router and your "inside" systems. Aside from only allowing only the data you invite into the 'house' it shows up as ONE machine to the IP, no matter if you have one or one hundred machines behind it. No response to outside PINGs, can selectively block specific IP addresses, open or close ports to set up your own VPN, logs all attempted intrusions... just good security protocol.

so I literally understand nothing starting with "but nothing..." could you please elaborate? thanks

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol:

JP said:
so I literally understand nothing starting with "but nothing..." could you please elaborate? thanks

Something similar to THIS. But I build the ones for my clients, lifetime support, nothing but initial build and installation/setup cost. Same type of hardened Linux kernel.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Somehow I wound up with McAfee - have to pay, and Avast, Spybot and CC Cleaner - free. I love CC Cleaner. Works as advertised.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
:lol:

Something similar to THIS. But I build the ones for my clients, lifetime support, nothing but initial build and installation/setup cost. Same type of hardened Linux kernel.

[/COLOR]

thanks Doc - so, I get that it goes inbetween - but what does it actually do? Do I have to specify everything that comes through? I am particularly thinking websites and emails. How does it work? thanks

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Tom said:
And Windows/Mac computers already have firewalls built in.

Quite different than a hardware firewall. Rules set up on an appliance apply to all behind it. Software on one computer sets rules for only that machine.

It takes a bit more effort to set up the hardware appliance, but as mentioned in prior posts; humans will usually choose convenience over security. <shrug>

The Linksys/Cisco unit is a good home unit if configured well. I'd not put one into a business environ, though.