• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire Accelerator cable

FlyingCat

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hi, everybody! I'm needing to replace the accelerator cable on my 1980 1500 federal Spitfire. I have a new Weber carburetor on my car, and I've purchased a universal cable (supposedly for that carburetor), which I was told I could "just cut down to size." That, then, begs the questions: What size should I cut it down to? (How is that size determined?) And how do I cut it down to size? The reason I'm not using the original cable is because I tried to cut that one down to size and ended up fraying the cable, which won't let the cable move smoothly. And even though I got the metal "nipple" on the carburetor end to come off, I couldn't get it to go back on short of epoxy. Any suggestions? Thanks!

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Never worked on a Spitfire cable, but I have moved some Saab cables around. You might try a cut off wheel on a high speed die grinder for the cut. There are usually brass end pieces that finish off the ends. There perhaps try some fishing tackle spots for wirer leader ends. The length is going to have wiggle room at least a couple of inches to keep a smooth arc plus the main cable is held back with a fixed clamp. The carb with have a strong spring to pull back at the cable, so the throttle does not open on its own. As far as the opening of the throttle, you will have to fiddle with that and look down the carb to make sure the throttle plate is open. hope that helps.

steve

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Remove the inner cable from the outer then cut the outer with a hacksaw. Hopefully they have given you a sleeve to go over the cut end. Then feed the new cor through and mark the length. Wrap the spot you've marked with a turn or two of masking tape. Put the cable in a vise and and secure at the tape. Cut the cable through the tape very close to the vise jaws with an extra fine hacksaw blade or die grinder as Steve suggested. Even better, IMO, get the proper cable from one of the Triumph suppliers.
Tom

OP
FlyingCat

FlyingCat

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The original cable won't work because I don't have the original carburetor. I might've worked had I not so poorly trimmed it. I was told by a supplier whose name rhymes with "floss" that my only option is a universal cable made for Weber. So I got one. Unfortunately, the floss in my medicine cabinet comes with more directions than the supplier. So I haven't a clue. Good suggestions, though. Thanks

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Sorry, I didn't know there was no cable supplied for the Weber conversion. It looks like there were several Weber throttle arrangements too.
Normally the universal cables come with one end off and often have threads inside the end piece so it screws back on. The other end may be swaged on. Perhaps post a picture of your setup.

https://crawsracing.com/product/throttle-cable-120-33mm-4245mm/

Tom