Thread: Accelerator cable

Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Accelerator cable

Hi, everybody! I'm needing to replace the accelerator cable on my 1980 1500 federal Spitfire. I have a new Weber carburetor on my car, and I've purchased a universal cable (supposedly for that carburetor), which I was told I could "just cut down to size." That, then, begs the questions: What size should I cut it down to? (How is that size determined?) And how do I cut it down to size? The reason I'm not using the original cable is because I tried to cut that one down to size and ended up fraying the cable, which won't let the cable move smoothly. And even though I got the metal "nipple" on the carburetor end to come off, I couldn't get it to go back on short of epoxy. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Re: Accelerator cable

Never worked on a Spitfire cable, but I have moved some Saab cables around. You might try a cut off wheel on a high speed die grinder for the cut. There are usually brass end pieces that finish off the ends. There perhaps try some fishing tackle spots for wirer leader ends. The length is going to have wiggle room at least a couple of inches to keep a smooth arc plus the main cable is held back with a fixed clamp. The carb with have a strong spring to pull back at the cable, so the throttle does not open on its own. As far as the opening of the throttle, you will have to fiddle with that and look down the carb to make sure the throttle plate is open. hope that helps.

steve

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sp53 For This Useful Post:

FlyingCat  (11-19-2019)

Luke Skywalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Remove the inner cable from the outer then cut the outer with a hacksaw. Hopefully they have given you a sleeve to go over the cut end. Then feed the new cor through and mark the length. Wrap the spot you've marked with a turn or two of masking tape. Put the cable in a vise and and secure at the tape. Cut the cable through the tape very close to the vise jaws with an extra fine hacksaw blade or die grinder as Steve suggested. Even better, IMO, get the proper cable from one of the Triumph suppliers.
    Tom
    1960 TR3A TS73117 (under endless restoration, owned since 1964)
    1959 TR3A TS58023 (in case I never finish the one above)
    1969 Triumph Herald 13/60 (a whim)
    1970 Lotus Elan Plus 2 /0023/N
    1992 BMW325IC (fun to drive)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TomMull For This Useful Post:

FlyingCat  (11-19-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The original cable won't work because I don't have the original carburetor. I might've worked had I not so poorly trimmed it. I was told by a supplier whose name rhymes with "floss" that my only option is a universal cable made for Weber. So I got one. Unfortunately, the floss in my medicine cabinet comes with more directions than the supplier. So I haven't a clue. Good suggestions, though. Thanks

Luke Skywalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Sorry, I didn't know there was no cable supplied for the Weber conversion. It looks like there were several Weber throttle arrangements too.
    Normally the universal cables come with one end off and often have threads inside the end piece so it screws back on. The other end may be swaged on. Perhaps post a picture of your setup.

https://crawsracing.com/product/thro...0-33mm-4245mm/

Tom
    1960 TR3A TS73117 (under endless restoration, owned since 1964)
    1959 TR3A TS58023 (in case I never finish the one above)
    1969 Triumph Herald 13/60 (a whim)
    1970 Lotus Elan Plus 2 /0023/N
    1992 BMW325IC (fun to drive)