• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

5 1/4" drive?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Is there such a critter any more?

Our library has some 5.25 inch floppy disks, supposedly full of research papers into aviation history. I'd like to at least read the directories to see what's on them.

I can find lots of 3.5 inch floppy disk readers, with USB cable.

But can't find anything for 5.25 inch floppies.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Tom M.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks Elliot. I have found lots of the 5.25 floppy drives, but no USB adapter or power supply for the drives.

Ay, there's the rub!

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I tried finding something For 5 1/4 inch floppy pt USB and came up empty also. Howevr, I did find a place that will do a transfer of 5/ 1/4 floppy drives to USB stick: https://www.floppydisk.com/transfer

Another alternative might be to look for an old used computer you could buy on the cheap with a 5-1/4 drive built in.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks gents. Just remembered my 1983 Osborne has two 5.25 floppy drives. If I use the old cp/m program MediaMaster, I can read DOS disks. At least this way I'll see the directory file listings.

Hope springs eternal!
Tom M.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
First computer I ever had was an Osborne, suitcase looking thing with a screen about the size of a large modern smartphone. I eventually sold it cheap. Someday will probably be a collector's item. DOS prompt me please.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
First computer I ever had was an Osborne, suitcase looking thing with a screen about the size of a large modern smartphone. I eventually sold it cheap. Someday will probably be a collector's item. DOS prompt me please.

I still have mine. WordStar, SuperCalc, dBase II, even a lightning-fast 300 baud modem!, etc.

osborne1.jpg

Back in those days, computers were expensive (this one cost about $2000), and used for work.

Country flag
How ironic that we are having difficulty accessing records that are about 30 years old while it is still possible to access this record. Medieval Latin is required to read the original text.

Does make you wonder. will a generation or two from now find they have no usable pictures from vacations, births or other celebrations. No family documents or other stuff because everything is electronic and in obsolete formats or lost "in the cloud"?? I have a ton of stuff my maternal ancestors kept that probably would be that way were they not on film or paper, like a photo of a 3yo "cowboy" me that probably wouldn't have survived if not forgotten for decades as a photo found when my grandmother passed years ago. I certainly didn't know it existed so wouldn't have looked for it had it been in electronic form.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Mike - it sure is easier to show family and friends a photo album of printed pictures, than try to get them all on the right "platform" to see various photo and video formats. Funny - and sad - when a friend says "here's my trip to Australia" and holds up his smartphone - where the photos are about 2x2".

Recently found a "zip drive" disk at the air museum library. Paper label said "Constellation crash, 1993". Where the heck would someone find a zip drive device today? Just wait a few decades, and people will either (1) be scouring the 'net for devices supporting gif, tif, jpeg, avi, mov, pnp, etc., or (2) give up trying.

oy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
My external Zip drive connects with a parallel port cable. When was the last mainboard made with one of those?

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I can remember using 8” floppy’s... eek I’m dating myself.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh, good. Now I feel better about my age :devilgrin:

Country flag
Well, I can't go rotary drum, but I do still have a deck of 80 column punch cards and a big reel to reel tape at home. Make great paperweights...