• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Triumph TR4 in NC

NC-RMP

Freshman Member
Country flag
New Member with a 1964 TR4 that is hoped to soon be under restoration. I've owned and restored a 69MGB GT and owned a 77 MG Midget before. I am currently enjoying the silly process to register this car in NC. I "had" a perfectly clean Virginia title which was taken from me at the DMV when I sought to get a NC title and I was given in return the paperwork to have the car inspected before I can get a NC title. So until that inspection happens I am in limbo, unsure if I'll end up with a car I can ever title. I'm working to have all the possible concerns covered before I bring it on the trailer to be inspected.

I've sent off to the British Museum folks for the certificate giving all the numbers. I know the Commission Number (it is on the title) and have the original engine in the car so I know the engine number. I have a glove box full of Va registrations and other transactions that list the car credentials from late 60s until early 80s showing the Commission Number.

Engine was locked up but I got that freed.

Anyway, I will be using this forum to find info and ask a questions as I proceed.

Attachments

• tr4.jpg
    tr4.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 23

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Welcome. Tuff luck on the paperwork, seems I never get out of the DMV without some creative documents.
There are many responsive and knowledgeable folks on the Triumph forum so your in a good place.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Hello and Welcome to the forum.

The Triumph section is very active so you are sure to get plenty of tips and help for your TR4.

I hope the commission plate is still attached to the car as some states have a fit if it has been detached for paint restoration.

Mt TR3A came from NC with a title but Georgia will not issue a title for cars built before 1962 so I had to use the bill of sale. The inspection consisted of a Sheriff deputy coming by the house and checking the commission plate and the bill of sale. Took all of 10 minutes with him saying what a neat car.

David

OP
N

NC-RMP

Freshman Member
Country flag
I am unfortunately in the "have a fit" situation in NC. Everyone is car thief ring leader until proven otherwise here. It's just such a frustrating situation when common sense does not apply.

dklawson

Yoda
Welcome and greetings from Durham.

Join the TCOC and you will find lots of helpful people in the club.
TCOC Link

EDIT: (Removed original content)

I made a call last night to a friend who has dealt with the NC antique car title process a few times. He is supposed to send me a link to the appropriate state agency webpage.

Succinctly, the NC title law for antiques changed as long as a decade ago. Officially, the NC DMV is supposed to inspect any antique car from out of state to confirm the car is as described on the out of state title and that the VIN numbers match.

Apparently the situation is more complicated if the car is not running when titled.

When I have details and/or links I will post them here and PM you.

Last edited:
OP
N

NC-RMP

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks everyone for all the help. BTW I own a 65 or 66 GT6 that has no title, car was more or less given to me. Has running gear w locked engine. Been sitting in a field a long time and someone went at the body with a grinder after a big body fill job at some point. Had a thought to restore but gave up at prospect of NC process without a title to start. The commission tag on this one has BS AU48 1965 stamped on the bottom of it, so assume it was made in 65.

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
The "bs au48 1965" has to do with a seat belt regulation. Post the commission number - VIN and the actual year can be determined. The DMV in NC wanted to issue a NC assigned serial number on my TR4A. All the black lettering was missing from my plate. DMV inspector thought is was a homemade plate. Then they did not recognize the "O" for
overdrive. I got my NC title without the "O". Then I got a letter from them requiring me to turn in the title. They reissued a title with the "O". All worked out ok but had to jump thru hoops. Good luck!

dklawson

Yoda
I heard from my friend concerning the British cars he has bought outside of NC that had to go through the title process. Sorry, there is no short explanation.

Apparently someone in NC over a decade ago found a way to use bogus car titles on antiques and collectibles to launder money. The result is/are the odd and confusing regulations you are dealing with.

The cars we are discussing are considered "antiques" by NC. That does not mean that they have antique license plates. It only means the car is at least 35 years old. The "new" regulations require that any car 35 years old or older (and being titled in NC for the first time) will require a visual inspection (with photographs) from a DMV officer. The name of the special group handling this inspection is the "
N.C. Division of Motor Vehicle's License & Theft Bureau (formerly called the "License & Escheat Division"). A second requirement appears to be that if you own an antique auto already titled in NC, when the title is transferred to another person in NC, the new owner will need to have this visual DMV inspection AGAIN if the title is "old". I do not know the definition of "old".

The various requirements are loosely outlined in the link below.
Link to NC DMV Antique/Special Auto Title Categories.

The link below is to the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicle's License & Theft Bureau.
Link to the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicle's License & Theft Bureau

As you have found, you can take the car to one of the approved DMV inspection offices. A map accessible in the second link above shows there are 7 DMV districts in the state. You are in district 4 (336-256-2024). It is my understanding that you can contact them and book an appointment for them to come to your location to inspect the car. These appointments are typically a couple of months after you make contact with the DMV. Therefore, you won't find at-home inspection acceptable if you are in a hurry to get the car titled. If you can wait... it makes life easier for you.

I have also been told that for a non-running vehicle the inspection process is minimal and that some form of certificate is issued and the car will require re-inspection once it is roadworthy.

I doubt this information has helped you much. I am certainly confused by what I learned. Regardless, I think the bottom line is that you need to call the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicle's License & Theft Bureau and discuss what the current requirements are. As Bob suggested above, you can expect questions from the inspector and any published documentation you can provide to them will smooth the process (i.e. Perhaps a restoration guides showing the TR4, its VIN location, etc.)

Until the 35 year antique definition was in place I had to take our GT6 and Mini for their annual safety inspections. The VIN tag pop rivets on the Triumph and sheet metal screws on the Mini caused me grief every year during the safety inspection. The safety inspectors always insisted that the tag "could not be original... the (the factory) would never do that".

EDIT: Added DMV district information.