• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Almost a killer

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Driving to a lecture last night on a narrow winding road, as I came around a bend doing about 25-30 mph, two cars were coming towards me, one with bright lights. As they were about to pass, I somehow caught sight at the last minute of a pedestrian walker in my lane - dressed all in black ! (but with white sneakers). Since I could not pull left due to oncoming traffic, I had to stay in my narrow lane and almost hit the stupid %^%$#@. I could see the headline now: "Pedestrian killed by 85-year old". The stupid idiot deserved to get hit. Due to oncoming cars, I could not use my brights. A close call.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Makes you wonder why someone running on the road at night would not dressing light colors and have a red strobe light on them. I see it all the time here.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Where they going in the same direction as you?

You should always walk facing oncoming traffic so you can take avoiding action. If it is dark a strobe light is a must. CABs are often the cause of this situation.

David

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
He was facing us. There was no place for him to go. This road is barely wide enough for two cars let alone a jogger. He never should have been walking or jogging in the roadbed after dark. No sidewalks either. Years ago, my wife wrecked our Infiniti G20 when she rear-ended a car that stopped short one dark night because of 2 joggers in the roadbed. Some people here never learn.

Country flag
See them and cyclists out in the early morning hours all the time. Some tend to act like they're out by themselves and just ignore traffic, assuming I guess cars will somehow stop or miss if they suddenly cut across in front. Oh, and many dress in dark colors with no carried lights.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Add to this the number of those people who like to wear headphones while jogging or biking. When I cycled a lot for exercise and my transportation needs back in the forever ago, I relied on my ears almost as much as my eyes.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
When I walk or ride my bike I observe traffic laws, wear bright clothing and assume all cars are trying to hit me. I also warn people I'm passing but those folks with ear buds can't hear and get the wee wee scared out of them.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I must have struck a chord because when I posted my story on the local message board, I've gotten at least 25-30 approval posts and thank you's. Pedestrian here just got run down and killed yesterday afternoon.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I must have struck a chord because when I posted my story on the local message board, I've gotten at least 25-30 approval posts and thank you's. Pedestrian here just got run down and killed yesterday afternoon.
Road pizza.