• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Is this false advertising?

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
My new truck came with 6 months free satellite radio. My 6 months is about to run out and over the last few months I have had various offers to extend the service.
The latest offer came with a Big $4.99/month for 12 months.
I thought that I could live with that a I do not use the service every time I drive the truck.

Starting to go trough the sign up process I get Specially for you Only $99.00 per year. So what happened to the $4.99/month? Maybe they do not expect you to multiply $4.99 by 12 and come up with $59.88 not $99.00.
The addition of all sorts of sports packages did not sweeten the deal.

I will not be signing up for the service.
David

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
"I will not be signing up for the service.
David"

Good idea. Once you're roped into a "service", it'll take major efforts to get back out. Amazing how much we sign up for "at a discount", which we don't really need anyway. Cable TV is another example; if there's a "discount" for the first X months, you'll never find out what the non-discount charge is until you get the big surprise at the end of the discount period.

Ever notice the "free" online services, which require your credit card info to sign up?

Tom M.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Last year we also got the $4.99/month special. I called and offered to send a check for $60.
They refused and said I had to give them my credit card number so they could charge me every month.
I refused because after the trial they had my credit card to begin billing me at the higher rate. Consequently we don’t have the service in my wife’s car.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
If it's the one named after the dog star, call them and ask for their cancellation number. Tell them you want to quit because it's too expensive They'll always offer a lower price. Do a search on the internet first, there are always sites that will tell you the cheapest price they offer. If they won't give that price to you, tell them the one you saw that was lower. If still no go, hang up and call again, another rep will likely give it to you. NEVER give them your credit card number. After you've agreed on a price, they will ask for the CC. Tell them, no thanks, please send me a bill. Been doing this for more than 10 years. Here's a good site: https://wallethacks.com/save-75-sirius-xm-radio-subscriptions/

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
A friend bought a used BMW (through Craigslist) and, get this, the car came with a life-time membership to said Dog Star! He's been using it now for at least 5 years (free).

D

Deleted member 8987

Speedway Motors. Needed a couple of carb kits. First time customers get $10 off.

Ordered, got all the way through, nothing, rechecked "new customer" box checked.....decided to just order....THEN the notice that as a new customer you get a $10 off certificate for your next order.

No. Not gonna be another time.

Country flag
Had one of those cable services try to sign me up for a first 3 months discounted rate. I noticed that the install processing was listed as requiring up to 90 days to complete andthat was included in the discount as service time. So basically you got to pay a lower rate to probably not have anything until after the discount period ended. I'm still over the air for TV.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
In my earlier Subaru, I was connived into giving my credit card number and of course was renewed at the maximum rate. On this car, I signed up for one year for cash. Now, the year is up and I got a bill for $230.00. I refused; the service was shut off and I got a final bill of $35.00 which I paid. Now, I'm waiting for the low price offer, but so far - no dice. I told them I only listened to 8 channels and didn't think it was worth it. I do listen a lot to 1940s and 1960's music, Opera and classical, plus Chris Russo's Mad Dog sports talk - football and tennis only. I'm still waiting for the low, comeback price....

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Just got an offer for the radio that I shut off in 2015. Tat offer was just the same as the new truck offer.

I also only listen to a few channels so the announcement that I have over 140 channels available plus NFL etc. is not that interesting.

I think I will stick to AM. and FM.

David

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Just got an e mail from Sirius offering an additional 3 months of free service. They only need my credit card number for the processing fee. Do you think they would take a check.

David

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Just got an e mail from Sirius offering an additional 3 months of free service. They only need my credit card number for the processing fee. Do you think they would take a check.

David
A couple of years ago I got a similar offer from them for my wife’s car. I called and offered to send them a check but they wanted my credit card number which I refused to give them.
I guess you can try, but I doubt it.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Might be no harm IF you stay on top of it and quickly cancel at the end of that period (and use one of your lesser credit cards in case of dispute).

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I just renewed for the 3rd time at a much lower rate the the published one. I have a reminder to call a week or so before to tell them I am going to cancel if I can't get a good deal. This year the sales rep said I can give you a better deal than you have now. Not by much but fine by me and very painless.The renewal email said I would automatically be renewed at $20+ a month at the end of the period. Reminder in calendar is already been updated.