• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR5/TR250 LSD

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I am sure all you Gearheads immediately read this right--Limted Slip Differential. After many months if not years of good intentions I started searching the inventory at the local you pull it the last few months. Late 90s, early 2000s Q45s are getting a little harder to find so when one showed up and we had a warm Saturday forecast in our unusually cold fall I figured it was time to pounce.

I am constantly amazed at the quality of fittings on modern cars. I remember working on 10 year old Healey and MG with terminally seized bolts. The biggest difficulty on the 20 year old Infiniti was the immense torque used to attach the driveshaft flange to the diff, and the fact that the car was stuck in park, and access to the top nuts was difficult (I ended up pulling the exhaust, which, while a little stuck, was not fused into one solid piece like I am used to).

Anyway, a trip to the local farm supply store to buy a deep socket and some creative leverage on the driveshaft flange nuts and I was done.

The cost of the rest of it from Goodeparts is not insubstantial, has anyone done DIY mounts, or should I just note the bullet and save some pennies to buy the ready made stuff? Any experience with the R200 install at all would love to hear it.

mgNOT

Country flag
I presume you read the information on the Goodparts site regarding the preferred unit. There are long and short nose versions, and I believe you want
the short one (I have one). Mine is a '94 with "supposedly" 134,000 miles on it and 3.54 ratio. I opened it to inspect , and it appears as new inside.
I highly recommend the Goodparts kit, it cuts out the engineering design work and prototyping. There is a "hump" on the nose of the case you may have to grind off, especially
if you run the Ratco rear stabilizer bar (I do). I also highly recommend the CV joint kit and hubs, although now you are really talking about using up your allowance
for the foreseeable future. I don't recall how I did it, but I added a length of hose for the case vent and zip tied it to one of the traction control mounting bosses.
Dennis

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks mgNOT, I kind of figured I would end up getting the mounting kit, but doesn't hurt to ask. The differential is from a 99 Q45, from everything I have read all the Q45s of this generation have the same diff and it will work. A 3.69, so no real change from the 3.70 as far as gear ratio. I have new, high quality u-joints and rebuilt hubs, and don't seem to have any problem with axles binding up when I autocross, so for now will stick with the stock set up. Where are you at in Iowa?

mgNOT

Country flag
I'm in Ankeny, a suburb of Des Moines. Seems like the driving season is over, snow on the ground here.
Dennis