• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Camping

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Camping Is where we spend a small fortune, to live like a homeless person! Ain't it the truth! :highly_amused:

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I really do enjoy coming...hope to be doing it much more in my golden years.

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Camping Is where we spend a small fortune, to live like a homeless person! Ain't it the truth! :highly_amused:

Speak for yourself.....when I go camping I generally live quite nicely - I do medieval and renissance fairs so I have tent with full standing headroom. full size bed, coffee table with chairs, my own personal bar, antique lamps, candle chandeliers, rugs, and a decent assortment of medieval swords, archery bows, crossbows, etc. I'm not much into "roughing" it. The downsides are I need a pickup and 5x10 trailer to haul it all, and the multi-hour setup/teardown time.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
The downsides are I need a pickup and 5x10 trailer to haul it all, and the multi-hour setup/teardown time.

just like the knights of the round table. :grin:

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
My small rv has a lot of house appliances, but you can go about anywhere and enjoy the quiet.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
It's more about where we are than the camping. I'm not sure that traveling in a VW van and eating out often actually is camping but it allows us to explore out of the way places with little or no plan, parks, forests, even a dead end gravel road. For me being outdoors and staying in nature is a big part of camping but allowing the freedom to travel ranks right up there.

Occasionally I'll make a fire if it doesn't interfere with sunset and I won't mind smelling like smoke the next day. Often a candle will suffice.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
That's how we use the small rv, get out and away. Take the boat do some fishing, fall asleep and find ourselves on the other side of the lake. Pull up to camp, light a fire and wait for the stars. Campfire, smores and marshmellows, katydids, hoot owls, and wipporwills.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Except THEY had roadies (servants and pages) to do all the hard work.....if I could afford to hire roadies to do the setup/takedown and transport I would too!

touche!

jackq

Jedi Knight
Country flag
We prefer to rough it. We have Monaco Dynasty. 40 ft diesel pusher. To rough it we turn the a/c up a bit.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Years ago, we went with a friend who had a small RV up to Massachusetts. Arriving at our campsite, it took him over 30 minutes to "level the wheels". Why? Apparently the refrigerator would not work unless it was perfectly level. Sleeping in that thing was like crawling into your own coffin. It was a Chevy diesel - noisy as all get out. I vowed than and there to never ever buy or rent one of these things. I guess that really big ones are much more comfortable but where do you park them and you have to tow a car anyway, so what's the big deal? But some people seem to love them and Florida is crawling with the things.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
my aunt and uncle have had small 'camper-vans' since they had a westfalia van in the 70's. They took a full sized chevy van (remember the high top ones from the van craze days) to Europe for a sabbatical - and brought it back. In retirement they had one of them that they drove everywhere. Often stayed in parking lots or out of the way places but loved it. MY uncle died this summer and one of their last activities together was driving out to Victoria to see their daughter and granddaughter. They loved it. It was very hard for my aunt to sell that camper.

We just got back from a week in Myrtle Beach and there were many big ones floating around - Our condo (timeshare) overlooked the Myrtle Beach Travel Park which had a constant coming and going of big RV's and fifth wheels.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
We have a 30' motor home and love it! Great to have your own bed, linens, kitchen and bathroom, and setup is a breeze. It levels itself hydraulically, and the only hookups I have are electricity, water and sewer. Most campgrounds/rv parks can be had for around $30 a night, with state and national parks around half that, with senior discount.

Freedom to stop pretty much wherever you want, usually without making a reservation. And we meet lots of great folks along the way.

Planning a trip up to Canada next year - can't wait!

Our setup:

Attachments

• Thor Xterra.jpg
    Thor Xterra.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 31

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
My mom owns a camper, I prefer to sleep on the ground under the stars, if the weather is bad then I'll retreat into the bed of the pick-up under a tarp.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
We have a 30' motor home and love it! Great to have your own bed, linens, kitchen and bathroom, and setup is a breeze. It levels itself hydraulically, and the only hookups I have are electricity, water and sewer. Most campgrounds/rv parks can be had for around $30 a night, with state and national parks around half that, with senior discount.

Freedom to stop pretty much wherever you want, usually without making a reservation. And we meet lots of great folks along the way.

Planning a trip up to Canada next year - can't wait!

Our setup:

Mickey and J. have a great setup for travel. Met 'em for a quick lunch a bit ago and saw it in person. :thumbsup:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Whenever I tried to get my dad to go camping he would tell me “I did enough camping in a uniform for Uncle Sam”.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Whenever I tried to get my dad to go camping he would tell me “I did enough camping in a uniform for Uncle Sam”.

My sentiments, exactly!

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
My mother had one enduring nightmare - that my dad would buy a trailer and she would spend hours in the tiny kitchen, bouncing and swaying across country while hot coffee spilled on the floor. Her take? "My idea of nothing at all".