• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BN-1 owner

Michael bowie

Freshman Member
Hello...been dragging my 1954 BN1 around for 40 years and now is the time to sell it or fix it. Wondering what it costs (general) for engine overhaul, interior, hydraulics, paint.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
If you have to ask, you probably will get sticker shock. You've had the car for 40 yrs, time to repay it and get it done. Ask your local machine shop their hourly wage for work and an average time for rebuilds, that will give you a clue to the costs of labor alone. Find a body shop and ask their times. Paint can go from $5000 upward. If you can do any yourself will save you big bucks. Took me 4 months to rebuild a 53 Jag engine, transmission and carbs for about $1500 in parts. The owner had his car painted, after he bead blasted and still cost $5000. Goood luck. I did not charge him labor as he had invested approx. $8000 in his engine by a shop that did not know Jaguars. Luckily the machining where needed was done properly. They did not reseal joints correctly, so engine had to be gone over. They did not even hone cylinders. So, beware and find a proper shop if you head in that direction.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
It could be quite pricy, but a lot depends I think on what needs done and how much work you can do yourself (e.g., engine tear down)

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Hello Michael

Welcome to the forum.

Very open ended question. Largely depends on how much you can do your self. I had a shop clean my engine block and hone the bores. machine the flywheel and do the head. That work probable came to $1000.00. Then I rebuilt it my self. The interior I got a complete kit (Seat carpet and interior for a trim for about $2500.00 Then did all the work myself. Painting would depend on the prep work and paint chosen but paint can start at about $250.00 a gallon and up from there.

Hope that helps. As you have had your BN1 for that long it is probable worth the investment in time and $$$.

David

OP
M

Michael bowie

Freshman Member
Thanks for the response...It appears that the engine is frozen. I was hoping to get it running and then decide how to proceed. Body has no rust...straight panels. Front cross member is rusted thru on the bottom, so that will require replacing or re-enforcing. I have a LOT of spare parts, including a spare engine and tranny, 6 wire wheels, generator, starter, tail light lenses and chrome and the major suspension kit from Moss with new kingpins and all of the rubber bushings. I have an offer of $14k for just the car...is that about right?

Last edited:

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Hello Michael

You would get a better answer to the value question in the Austin Healey section on this forum.

David