• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

AH 3000 rear disc brake conversion

Asuny64BJ8

Freshman Member
Country flag
Researching converting my rear drum brakes for AH 3000 BJ8 to disc brakes. If anyone has any information or suggestions please let me know.
Thanks

Daniel 1964

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
welcome! can I suggest you repost your question in the Austin Healey section - not everyone looks here as it is the introduction page.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Hi Daniel, I'm moving this thread to our Austin Healey forum (I'll leave a "re-direct" marker in the New Members Intro forum) If you're reading this then you have been magically transferred to the AH forum.

Please do go back to the "New Members" forum and post an introduction of yourself.

Basil

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
OP
A

Asuny64BJ8

Freshman Member
Country flag
Conversion kits are available from:

Denis Welch, https://www.bighealey.co.uk/austin-healey/healey-brakes/brakes-general?page=2. These are the ones I have.
AH Spares, https://www.ahperformanceparts.co.uk/performance-parts/Brakes-Rear/default.aspx
Steve Gerow, a member of this forum (steveg), https://pbase.com/stevegerow/healey_rear_disc_setup. According to his signature, he sells a complete kit, including a part that makes the emergency/parking brake work properly.
Thank you guys, this new info is very helpful
Thanks
Daniel

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hi Daniel -

I have rear discs on my '57 vintage racer, but find the drums provide plenty of braking power with the right pads on my '65 Bj8 for street perfromance driving. I did upgrade to balanced and vented drums which also eliminated the scuttle shake that occured at 60 mph.

Wheel 1.jpg

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
John, Thanks for the mention. Since it's relevant, guess I'm allowed a mild self-plug.

The kit's the most complete; the installer needs to supply their own calipers, e-brake rods, hard lines and proportioning valve.

RearDiscThruWheel.JPG

DiscRotorKitComplete0616.jpg

Last edited:

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Ventilated and balanced rear drums are an excellent alternative to modifying originals. I also have them installed on my BJ7. Considering a 4 pot caliper upgrade for the fronts now. GONZO
10a937bf-2288-4027-a5ec-2e753aadac6f-1.jpg

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Gonzo - you won't be sorry you converted to 4-pots. Make sure the calipers fit your smaller (Type 14 IIRC) adapter plates. I believe they're available in both Type 14 and 16 bolt centers.

Edit: what selection of pads is available for the AHspares calipers? Do they use a pad design from a common car?

Last edited:

Joe Schlosser

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Cpnsidering the nose heavy condition upgrading the front is the place to spend your money. The rear brakes probably do not do a lot of the braking. Adding a lot of braking to the rear and not upgrading the front will cause a big balance problem.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Cpnsidering the nose heavy condition upgrading the front is the place to spend your money. The rear brakes probably do not do a lot of the braking. Adding a lot of braking to the rear and not upgrading the front will cause a big balance problem.

Agree. That's why the proportioning valve is necessary with the addition of rear discs.

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Nobody asked me, but that's never stopped me before ... I have/had several cars with 4-wheel disks. None of them have, IMO, anything more than barely adequate parking/emergency brakes; both my Healeys, with the big drums in back--front, too for the BN2--have excellent parking/emergency brakes. Just sayin' ...

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Nobody asked me, but that's never stopped me before ... I have/had several cars with 4-wheel disks. None of them have, IMO, anything more than barely adequate parking/emergency brakes; both my Healeys, with the big drums in back--front, too for the BN2--have excellent parking/emergency brakes. Just sayin' ...

With the stock setup, the rear drums are true emergency brakes, in that they will actually stop the car.

John Turney and I (and some others) have added dual master cylinders to divide the fronts from the backs, giving an emergency braking setup.

My adapter plates augment the e-brake force and give a better e-brake handle angle.

EbrakeLever.JPG
BrakePlatesFinal.jpg

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
When I installed my front and rear discs, I had a conversation with Denis Welch about the front/rear balance. He said with the 1.5" piston diameter rear calipers and the 2.125" piston front calipers, proper brake balance can be obtained with proper pad selection.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
When I installed my front and rear discs, I had a conversation with Denis Welch about the front/rear balance. He said with the 1.5" piston diameter rear calipers and the 2.125" piston front calipers, proper brake balance can be obtained with proper pad selection.

John,
Did you pursue that avenue and if so, did you verify it with a panic stop?

FWIW before installing the proportion valve, I did a panic stop with my then-new 4-wheel discs and the car about swapped ends.

Richard Mayor (Boy Racer) gave me an easy method of setting the proportioning valve with the car on jackstands, which I'd be happy to pass along to anyone who wants it. The valves are around $40 and installing and adjusting them is a one-time-only task.

The DW system would call for different pads front and rear. If one changed front pads then maybe the rears would need to be experimented with for each change. The proportioning valve would call for the same pad composition front and rear.

I've been using the Centric Ceramic pads for several years with good unboosted pedal pressure and absolutely no squeaking.

Joe Schlosser

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
My pointr egarding the rear brake conversion is that the drum brakes are probably sufficient and the dollars should be spent on improving the front brakes.
I am guessing that the fronts do 85-90% of the stopping.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
John,
Did you pursue that avenue and if so, did you verify it with panic stops?
Yes, they worked fine until I felt I needed to rebuild the brake system after 12 years and I put in the wrong master cylinder. My new rebuild includes the correct MC. I have to look through my records and find the correct pads (good ones in front, not so good in back).

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
My pointr egarding the rear brake conversion is that the drum brakes are probably sufficient and the dollars should be spent on improving the front brakes.
I am guessing that the fronts do 85-90% of the stopping.
You are correct, but rear discs look cool and don't cause scuttle shake.