• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Member Blainet99

blainet99

Freshman Member
Bronze
Country flag
I got interested in cars by being born a male in America in the 1940s. I think it came as part of the Y chromosome. Seems boys of that era were all fascinated by anything with wheels and a motor.

When I was in high school having your own car was not a birth right as it is today. We were allowed to borrow our parent’s car on occasion. The summer after my sophomore year in college (1964) my Dad surprised me with my first TR-3 (repainted 1957 Buick silver). I don’t recall the year of the car but 1[SUP]st[/SUP] gear was not synchromeshed so my guess is a 1959. The demise of that TR-3 is an entire story unto itself but suffice it to say I skidded on ice and had a head-on encounter with a concrete bridge abutment.

Insurance replaced that car with a powder blue TR-3 which I’d guess was a TR-3B – it was synchromeshed in 1[SUP]st[/SUP]. Sometime in my last year in college I turned that car on its side totaling it. My Dad thought it would be better for me to replace it with a beat up 1960 Chevy we called “Patches”.

In 1970 while in the Air Force in Colorado Springs I had a ‘54 Jeep wagon (the “Cracker Box”) that I rebuilt in my apartment parking lot (engine, transmission, transfer case, seats, headliner, interior panels, carpet. It would top out at 55 mph on I-25 in 3 gear!). About 1984 I had an MGB but I didn’t restore it. But, I never got over my love for the TR-3. For 50+ years I’ve been telling myself that I would have another one but there was always something else that kept it on the back burner. Recently, I’d pretty much given up on the idea.

Then, on August 26[SUP]th[/SUP] my daughter Olivia had dropped by and I was talking with her and looking out the kitchen window when her twin brother, Aaron, drove down the driveway in a TR-3! The two of them had secretly got together and gifted me a 1959 TR-3 (titled as 1960)! Needless to say I am still overwhelmed by it. My 50 year dream is being fulfilled by my fantastic kids!

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Lucky guy!!! :smile:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Great story- Great kids!
Welcome to the British Car Forum.