• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Saw one yesterday

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
They're only found in a few places in NW CT and those who know are keeping it to themselves. I had a couple of pet garter snakes as a kid. Today? I've seen exactly two garter snakes in the last 25 years or so (including this little guy photographed last November), no blacksnakes nor any other kind of snakes. Box turtles have disappeared, along with leopard and pickerel frogs, wood frogs, salamanders, native brook trout, blowfish, ling, whiting, mackerel, pheasants, ruffed grouse - now we're overrun with deer and coyotes. Nature out of balance - thanks to us. (File too big to upload.)

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
They're only found in a few places in NW CT and those who know are keeping it to themselves. I had a couple of pet garter snakes as a kid. Today? I've seen exactly two garter snakes in the last 25 years or so (including this little guy photographed last November), no blacksnakes nor any other kind of snakes. Box turtles have disappeared, along with leopard and pickerel frogs, wood frogs, salamanders, native brook trout, blowfish, ling, whiting, mackerel, pheasants, ruffed grouse - now we're overrun with deer and coyotes. Nature out of balance - thanks to us. (File too big to upload.)

Simply make a copy of the file and resize the copy to something like 1024 pixel width so that the file size is under 3Meg.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Trying again - resized.
Garter Snake - 11-19-2018 (2).jpg
Here he is. He was right at my feet - a little guy, less than 16 inches. He looks big here. He struck at my feet a few time instead of running away. I would not advise that with a heron or egret standing over him. It was last November. He should have been hibernating. I hope he survived.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I used to have a pet garter snake when I was a kid. By the way, to make a picture larger, (I fixed yours) just double click on the thumbnail and it will give you a pop-up - then select center, large.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Have a black racer here, with some young'uns. Living in the back yard jungle. Not too concerned about rodents!

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
But at the end of that episode, Ralph ends up doing the Mambo. :congratulatory:

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
We run into them fairly frequently around here, mostly western diamondbacks. In fact we have a fairly large rattlesnake festival in Apache which is about fifteen minutes from my house.