• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

XK120 fit 140 rack & pinion

Tazjag

Freshman Member
I have a '53 120 FHC my Dad left me and I would like to add rack and pinion steering to it.

If anyone knows, has insight, how-to info knows where to get such, etc. I would like to know how the rack is mounted and how the radiator is mounted. What items are used and what year they are from. Also what, if any, modification/s would be needed to get things to fit and work correctly (I have been warned about Ackerman steering problems). Everyone I asked (many folks) tell me it is not possible, but I would like to know in detail what the steps are so I can male that determination for myself. To that end pictures (especially hoiw-to pics) of your car rack and radiator setup would be vary helpful along with measurements if possible.

I already have an 140/150 rack & a 140 radiator to use if necessary. I also have several XKE racks and other XKE pieces.

I do, and have done, all the work on this and all my cars for at least 35 years so I am not intimidated at all with the supposed complexity and am very used to tackling hard jobs. I've already added disc brakes to the front end, but before I go a lot further - my car looks is a "basket case" - I'd like to explore this process to see if I want to do it.

Thanks, in advance for any consideration you can give me.

Best regards, Taz

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
There is a company in England that rebuilds the steering box and changes the gearing to make it respond as rack and pinion. Costs less than trying to engineer the rack into a 120. Don't know the name of Co. But see it regularly in British mags.

OP
T

Tazjag

Freshman Member
Thanks Larry, that's assuming you have a steering box to rebuild. Too, I really do want to know how to "engineer the rack into a 120."

Brian

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
You might take pictures of a 140 and try to copy. Measure 140 rack and see if it will fit. A lot of hot rods use Mustang II racks, cheaper and maybe smaller.