• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

clean up

• Thread starter Deleted member 8987
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8987

Been working on stuff in the garage last couple of weeks. Old projects in pieces...finishing them up. Started pitching stuff.Cleaned out carb stuff tonight. OLD carb kits (who even HAS a one barrel rottenchester anymore), and I found a need diaphragm for a Ford Variable Venturi. I was the only one in shops who could rebuld them and get them to run. Think Stromberg, but 2bbl. (I still have all the tools to set up GM electronic carbs, too....think Citation).Nissan transmission parts, just piles.Then I got into my flathead carbs.Gotta be 20 of them, all sorts. 59A style with no advance port, 2100AA1 with port....couple with four bolt throttle plates AND automatic choke. Even have a 50 Merc carb, boxes of parts, carefully marked, cleaned bits, emulsion tubes, spray bars, floats. No idea what I am gonna do with them.At least I am making shelf space.Haven't got into the flathead transmission parts yet......

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Wow! I envy your ambition! I need to do the same. But looking at the 'pile' here, I get discouraged and just shut the door. Going to get one of the PODS units, all the "keep" bits go into that, the "pitch" pile subdivided into 'recycle' and 'garbage'. Then paint walls & mount cabinets, etc... it's a plan. Weather is finally getting cool enough to put it into action.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Might be worth contacting one of the carb rebuilding companies to see if they want any - especially the tools. There are fewer and fewer who are able/ willing to rebuild these things and while they might not be worth anything it would be good to know that they are being used somewhere.

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

I don't know. Old Stromberg 97. I did at one point, CRS if I got rid of them. I'll dig though tonight.

(CRS is "Can't Remember S.......hine")

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Back in 1956, I bought two chrome ones for under 20 bucks from Pep Boys, and that was my allowance for a week! :highly_amused:

I put a rebuilt carb on my 1940 Ford. Cost me $4.95 from the local Ford dealer in 1950.

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

In 1970, bought a rebuilt for my 50 Tudor, five bucks.

Don't know if I hit this before.....I needed to rebuild a 390CFM Holley for my 3/4 race 50 Merc.
Been sitting on the bench for a while.

Ordered one from Napa, four days, picked it up, $90 for the kit.
Came home, full teardown and clean up, casket removal...opened the box (not the bag), and no idea what version of Holley the kit fit, not a separate float bowl type, secondaries big as a drinking glass. My Holley has four ports exactly the same.
Checked on line for a kit (R-8007), direct from Holley, $31.28. Be here tomorrow.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
In 1970, bought a rebuilt for my 50 Tudor, five bucks.

Don't know if I hit this before.....I needed to rebuild a 390CFM Holley for my 3/4 race 50 Merc.
Been sitting on the bench for a while.

Ordered one from Napa, four days, picked it up, $90 for the kit.
Came home, full teardown and clean up, casket removal...opened the box (not the bag), and no idea what version of Holley the kit fit, not a separate float bowl type, secondaries big as a drinking glass. My Holley has four ports exactly the same.
Checked on line for a kit (R-8007), direct from Holley, $31.28. Be here tomorrow.

Always the best thing is to order stuff right from the manufacture if possible, even if it costs more. A lot of these kits are Oriental generics and it's a gamble if the kit is right for your carb. PJ

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

I always try local first. Had a commercial account there for at least 40 years. They get first crack.....cost or suitability wrong, go elsewhere.
One of the issues we ran into decades ago, you stop buying certain parts locally, pipeline dries up and goes away.
Then, when you need a cap and rotor for the old Mallory for your flathead....mail order, when you need it now.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Wow! I envy your ambition! I need to do the same. But looking at the 'pile' here, I get discouraged and just shut the door. Going to get one of the PODS units, all the "keep" bits go into that, the "pitch" pile subdivided into 'recycle' and 'garbage'. Then paint walls & mount cabinets, etc... it's a plan. Weather is finally getting cool enough to put it into action.

But what if you NEED it later?

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

Rule of thumb: If you haven't touched it in a year, you don't need it.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Murphy's law - If you get rid of it,you'll need it shortly,
or someone will offer a lot of money for it.

That happened to me a few years ago.I had a used
set of Cortina Deluxe struts in the garage.Finally took them to
the local wrecking yard to be scrapped.
The next week,I got a call from a guy who had someone
looking for a set,& would pay good money for them.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Murphy's law - If you get rid of it,you'll need it shortly,
or someone will offer a lot of money for it.

That happened to me a few years ago.I had a used
set of Cortina Deluxe struts in the garage.Finally took them to
the local wrecking yard to be scrapped.
The next week,I got a call from a guy who had someone
looking for a set,& would pay good money for them.

Totally, this. 1,000 times over.

Some of you have probably been involuntarily exposed to the teachings of Marie Kondo's, "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up" It's very popular with organized people like my wife and like wolfsbane to me. She has a simple test, does the item you're thinking of disposing "spark joy". If it does, keep it, if not, throw it. Using that simple approach to your automotive treasures will have you whittling down your pile in no time at all. I've got a whole garage full of parts and I can't really think of any of those worn, greasy spares that "spark joy".

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Totally, this. 1,000 times over.

Some of you have probably been involuntarily exposed to the teachings of Marie Kondo's, "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up" It's very popular with organized people like my wife and like wolfsbane to me. She has a simple test, does the item you're thinking of disposing "spark joy". If it does, keep it, if not, throw it. Using that simple approach to your automotive treasures will have you whittling down your pile in no time at all. I've got a whole garage full of parts and I can't really think of any of those worn, greasy spares that "spark joy".

sadly pretty much all the cr*p in my garage sparks joy Mrs JP just doesn't see it