• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Star Trek

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I enjoy watching reruns of the original Star Trek series, but always found it humorous that, in the 23rd century, knowing they routinely get bashed about by enemy phasers and force fields and such, their chairs were fiberglass kitchenette chairs and not even bolted to the floor. Also, they hadn't yet heard of seat restraints, hence the crew routinely gets tossed about the bridge.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I love that they do the calculations and then feed them into the computer.

In other scifi - it boggles my mind that a long time ago in a galaxy far far away they had never heard of railings.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I love that they do the calculations and then feed them into the computer.

In other scifi - it boggles my mind that a long time ago in a galaxy far far away they had never heard of railings.

The food looks like big cubes of Play Dough.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Country flag
Hey, if nothing else the 23rd century conquered the need to go to the bathroom and developed self cleaning bodies. ever notice they had sinks but nothing else. Not even a door hinting at it..

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hey, if nothing else the 23rd century conquered the need to go to the bathroom and developed self cleaning bodies. ever notice they had sinks but nothing else. Not even a door hinting at it..

Well, they do have matter/energy transporter technology.

Scottie, beam it out.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I've always enjoyed Star Trek, recently my oldest son has discovered it and we have been watching a lot of the Next Generation on Netflix. I don't like watching the original show on there because all the special effects have been updated with computer effects and I always enjoyed the campy and bad 1960s effects.

Country flag
I have most of it on dvd, from the original on. And if you haven't seen it, stream or download Star Trek Discovery. I enjoyed it. Set about 20-30 years before TOS and tries to show the evolution from Enterprise to TOS, so you get bits of both.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
all the special effects have been updated with computer effects and I always enjoyed the campy and bad 1960s effects.

Watching the original Star Wars in blue ray is a little like that - you see how cheesy many of the costumes really were. especially storm troopers

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I own the original on DVD with the original effects and it is the only way to watch it.

I tried watching Discovery but I couldn't get into it, the Klingons looked worse than they ever had, the psuedo science makes even less sense than any of the other series, and everything was so high tech looking that it was hard to reconcile that with the original show. My expectations weren't high but Discovery couldn't even live up to "Spock's Brain" in my opinion so when it went on hiatus after the first few episodes I dropped my CBS subscription.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Here's a bit of useless Star Trek trivia - one episode in season 3 (last season), "The Lights of Zetar" was written by Shari Lewis (of Lambchop fame). She was originally going to appear in that show as Lt Roman (Scotty's love interest).

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I liked Buck Rodgers when a kid, with the rocket engine spitting sparks out the back! :highly_amused:

View attachment 61135

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Clerk at Smith's yesterday.

Trek.jpg

D

Deleted member 8987

If the Transporter can be set to filter out alien life forms from human bodies, they just transport folks from transporter room back to their quarters and filter out.....the excrement.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
As I was watching "The Immunity Syndrome" episode, it occurred to me that the female crews' uniforms made mini skirts look like evening gowns. :angel2:

Country flag
One thing I've noticed with digital HD tv, when watching a lot of what was broadcast as analog from the 60s thru 80s, there can be lots of more personal details that would have gone unnoticed in the fuzzier pictures from then. Particularly from the 70s and 80s "jiggle" tv era...