• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

100 bn1/bn2 id

ja_cain

Freshman Member
My friend just brought home what looks like an early 100 (BN1/BN2) with the I6, based on the shape of the grill opening. I it has the taller grill of the early 100-4 which is somewhat confusing to me after doing some research. I know there was some prototyping done with the 6 thrown into the early chassis. Sorry about the poor pictures. Will post higher quality stuff sometime tomorrow when I have a chance to take them myself. Any help offered would be much appreciated!

Justin

Attachments

• 74280.jpeg
    74280.jpeg
    19.2 KB · Views: 219
  • 74277.jpeg
    74277.jpeg
    19.2 KB · Views: 233
  • 74278.jpeg
    74278.jpeg
    17.7 KB · Views: 218
  • 74297.jpg
    74297.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 225

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Looks like someone shoehorned a six-cylinder engine into the car.

OP
J

ja_cain

Freshman Member
Looks like someone shoehorned a six-cylinder engine into the car.

Thanks! After doing some digging, I figured that was the case. I'm hoping it's one of the higher output six's. I know the I4's are more favorable in this chassis though. Will update this thread with better pics tomorrow.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
I was thinking it doesn't look like one of the early six cylinders. Looks much later.

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I notice they swapped in the 6 cylinder hanging pedal bulkhead brace on the right side so it may have been a well done swap.

OP
J

ja_cain

Freshman Member
Thanks for all of the replays! Any idea what something like this would be worth if a decent restoration effort was made or bought as is? Glad to hear the swap may have been done correctly.

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
So I see disc brakes in front w/dust shields - discs first seen about March '59, dust shields started about march '60.

Center change gearbox and fiberglass cover started about November '61.

Can't tell for sure but looks like 1 3/4" bore intake. Not a 'thermo-choke' head.

Overall, it makes me think it's a home-brew hot rod rather than a factory test mule but more research is called for. I love these kind of mysteries and will be looking forward to more pictures.

IMO the value is largely dependent on frame & structural integrity although hot rods are usually never as valuable as a correct factory produced car.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
In order to get the most for this car by restoring it, I think the best way to go would be to pull the engine and transmission, sell them, and restore with an original spec motor and transmission. Even still, I think you'd be upside down on the purchase. Restoring it in its present spec will cost more than it will ultimately be worth. You'd have to get it really cheap and do the work yourself to even have a shot I just don't see it being very desireable as a modified.

OP
J

ja_cain

Freshman Member
In order to get the most for this car by restoring it, I think the best way to go would be to pull the engine and transmission, sell them, and restore with an original spec motor and transmission. Even still, I think you'd be upside down on the purchase. Restoring it in its present spec will cost more than it will ultimately be worth. You'd have to get it really cheap and do the work yourself to even have a shot I just don't see it being very desireable as a modified.

Thanks for sharing your opinion! The car was free and we would be doing the work ourselves. I do machining/welding/fabricating for a living and my best friend used to do bodywork back in the day. I gave him all of my wife's uncles Sata paint guns so he can hook me up on projects like this. Lol! I think it would be a cool car to drive to work in from time to time.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for sharing your opinion! The car was free and we would be doing the work ourselves. I do machining/welding/fabricating for a living and my best friend used to do bodywork back in the day. I gave him all of my wife's uncles Sata paint guns so he can hook me up on projects like this. Lol! I think it would be a cool car to drive to work in from time to time.

That's probably the best approach. Fix it up, drive it, enjoy it, and don't worry about the resale value.

OP
J

ja_cain

Freshman Member
I wish I had the coin to buy it. I always wanted to try a Honda F20C or F22C1 in a car like this. My brother has a Triumph GT6 that I would love to do the swap on. I know, sacralidge. Lol!

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Mystified that no one has yet asked what the VIN is. Don't see the VIN plate and there's a "shadow" on the firewall and the two screws holes where it was mounted. (Why would it ever have been removed?) Is there a title? Any record of the VIN? From the green Armacord in the boot I think it's safe to assume that it's a BN1.

Knowing the VIN ("Car No." in BMC parlance) won't solve many mysteries, but it's always a good starting point and we could likely discover if the car was originally RHD or later converted from a left-hooker.

By the way, what's the story on what appears to be a blue long-hood 911 shown in one of the pics? If it is a long-hood 911 and you're restoring it and inclined to writing an article about the project, I'd be pleased to have it for another mag I produce, ESSES for the Early 911S Registry. Danke in advance.

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Mystified that no one has yet asked what the VIN is. Don't see the VIN plate and there's a "shadow" on the firewall and the two screws holes where it was mounted. (Why would it ever have been removed?)

Hi Ried, It depends on the state where it resided when the engine swap was done. I have a BN1 that I bought about 10/12 years ago from Craig Anderson that has a 289 Ford installed in about '68/'69 in the State of Missouri. At that time in Missouri an engine swap meant the equivalent of an 'assembled vehicle' so the State issued a new Missouri vin number on a Missouri ID plate and destroyed the factory vin number plate and any records of the previous factory vin number. So I have a title but it is impossible for me to get a Heritage Cert. to learn anything about the car because I don't know the original BN1 number.

This car may have suffered a similar fate depending on where it was when the swap was done.

Dave