• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

and the hits just keep on coming.....

• Thread starter Deleted member 8987
  • Start date

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Maybe the really scary thing is that over the years, we've been convinced/persuaded/shoved into putting so much personal, financial, and management information on the 'net, for convenience.

Now *that* really is frightening.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
To paraphrase one of The Founders: "When people put convenience over security, they will have neither."

...and a Chinese cell 'phone is to be avoided like th' Plague. I'll keep my Razor for as long as possible.

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

Yeah. Incrementalism. Boiling Frogs.

I see that and draw a line. NO online banking (notes in my files at the banks that we DO NOT do that), no smart phones nor the tracking they do.....apps? Nope.
Bitcoins?!? HA!

There are still a couple of those things that could be an issue for me.

Got my browsers set tight enough they have trouble figuring out my location. Closest is about 15 miles.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/google-revealed-what-it-told-advertisers-about-me-it-was-a-mess/

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
We've cut the vulnerabilities as much as we can here, but it's always possible. I figure we're just not that important. :wink:

TOC said:
Got my browsers set tight enough they have trouble figuring out my location. Closest is about 15 miles.

Yup, same here. Block "location" if any site asks, as well.

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

We've cut the vulnerabilities as much as we can here, but it's always possible. I figure we're just not that important. :wink:

Yup, same here. Block "location" if any site asks, as well.

[/COLOR]

Yeah. No "sharing location", no alerts.

But, I do have a PRC cell. My Motorola died, Consumer Cellular sent me this one several years ago, long before the PRC Cell BS.

Yes, it's a Huawei (or however that's spelled), but it's a freaking flip phone. No apps. No idea if there is any security issues with it. Don't do banking (now even set up for internet), so who knows.

NO smart TV's at home, no smart appliances, no Alexa or Siri or any of that carp.

None of the latest MS/BS that tracks everything you do.

Country flag
I use mine for calls only, no banking, no payment apps, nothing. And I keep most identifiable information off my computer at home. Yes I'm a dinosaur in that respect, but while a bit more time intensive to do things, safer. Oh, and when I buy online I alway say don't save payment information.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
To paraphrase one of The Founders: "When people put convenience over security, they will have neither."

...and a Chinese cell 'phone is to be avoided like th' Plague. I'll keep my Razor for as long as possible.

We have ATT i phones, but their made by Samsung, where are they made? I would think they would have to be made in the Orient somewhere. ??? Always wondered why when I get text, it's in Chinese! :rolleyes2:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Just found out 50% are made in Vietnam, the rest made everywhere, including China. :tongue:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

We have ATT i phones, but their made by Samsung, where are they made? I would think they would have to be made in the Orient somewhere. ??? Always wondered why when I get text, it's in Chinese! :rolleyes2:
If your phone is made by Samsung you don't have an iPhone.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Apple is in control of it, what does that mean? we have to have an Apple registration and password to open it up for use. Got them at the ATT store and they set them up. itunes is also used for downloading and installing apps. Well, all I can say is, they work great, the same as my wife's ipod. :encouragement:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Paul... I stand corrected :bow:
I see that Samsung is making some of the components that are in the iPhone.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
No big deal Elliot, no one makes all the parts that most of the electronic equipment has in it. Years ago my wife worked in the electronics division of a secret military manufacture of aircraft electronic components. Something to do with radar guided missile hardware. The workers worked in different rooms installing parts that the previous workers didn't know what she was installing and the items went from room to room for additional parts. No one on the floor divisions knew where these parts came from or who made them. She found out later the stuff came from all parts of the world but no specifics. Final assembly was done in another room under top secret clearance personnel. Shipped in military sealed containers by unmarked vehicles. I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone here makes electronics anymore. Silicon valley is probably just an assembly area instead of a manufacturing facility. Don't know, out of my league. :rolleyes:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
read a very troubling story today in Wired magazine about Russia hacking the Seoul olympics - really troubling and really complicated and devious.

I appreciate that personal data matters but I think national data (and security) matters more.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Glad I didn't upgrade to VBulletin 5 (a completely different piece of software than V4.X I'm using.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/anony...ero-day-impacting-tens-of-thousands-of-sites/

And luckily I'm running a newer version of EXIM than the one in this exploit:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/millions-of-exim-servers-vulnerable-to-root-granting-exploit/

And for this one, while I am running PHP 7, I'm not running NGINX, I'm running Apache and I'm not running the FastCGI Process Manage module.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/nasty-php7-remote-code-execution-bug-exploited-in-the-wild/

Whew!

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

Just because it's new, improved, latest update....does NOT mean it's better.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Shortly after switching from dial-up we put together an Apache server. We'd registered a URL through our old provider, didn't realize he'd filed it as his own. It was stolen/sold later, the guy disappeared without a trace. Now some offshore outfit has possession. Remnants show up on the Wayback Machine site. Lessons learned. Still PO'd over losing that URL though.

I gave up on the idea of maintaining a web server here at the hovel. PHP became dominant and it annoyed me to need to learn yet another discipline. Didn't need another full-time job!

Basil has our respect!