• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

When do you replace things?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
So, puttering on the car tonight and realized that new hoses are likely in my future, I will probably install them in the spring. This however got me thinking, given that almost none of us actually wear things out - how often do you replace things like hoses/ brake hoses/ brake cylinders etc.

I will say that I have probably replaced my spark plugs a little too often.

what is your practice?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I used to figure 10 years service life for "rubber" like soft brake lines, fuel lines, fan belts and such. They'll often go much longer, but it seems like the chance if sudden failure goes up.
Modern rubber-like materials do seem to last longer tho, so I've been going 20 years.

No failures yet with the braided SS over Teflon brake lines, or the Cunifer hard lines; so I'm not going to mess with them until something happens. Using DOT 5 fluid also seems to make seals last forever, so I'm not changing them until I start having problems.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I agree with Randall on my British stuff, and though they have lead a sheltered life, the hoses and such on my TR250 are all ten years old now and I should probably look at replacing.

Modern Japanese cars are amazing, with 20 year old hoses still feeling pretty much like new (not too spongy or too crispy), but I suppose they should be looked at too.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
P.S. I used to replace spark plugs more often, but after years of doing it, sometimes as routine maintenance, sometimes as "throwing parts at a problem" I never seemed to notice much difference in how the car ran, so don't worry about them so much now.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
P.S. I used to replace spark plugs more often, but after years of doing it, sometimes as routine maintenance, sometimes as "throwing parts at a problem" I never seemed to notice much difference in how the car ran, so don't worry about them so much now.

I do change the points on my old cars every Spring and usually look at the plugs at the same time. I almost always put them back in unless there's been a skip or they are badly worn or fouled, and I pretty much just eyeball the gap.

Just my 2p.

Tom

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Speaking of tools or other "stuff", I usually replace them right before I find the one i misplaced.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
When you find it, put it back in the box for next time.
Tom

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Speaking of tools or other "stuff", I usually replace them right before I find the one i misplaced.

actually the only way I can find the misplaced thing is to buy a new one. and the corollary of this is that for something I have many of (like tape measures) at best I can still only fond one at a time

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Spark Plugs (Platinum tip) I change about every 100k miles on average. I change timing belts about every 50k. I don't change hoses on a regular interval but probably should. If they look old and cracked I'll change them. I usually change air filter when I do an oil change (every 5-6k)

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I replace things when they get old and not quite as useful as they used to be, BUT, I'm careful not to mention that around here, as I don't want the wife to get any ideas! :devilgrin:

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I replace things when they get old and not quite as useful as they used to be, BUT, I'm careful not to mention that around here, as I don't want the wife to get any ideas! :devilgrin:

probably cut the forum in half size wise too. :rolleyes:

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I replace parts at half the recommended service intervals. Depends on milege and how hard i've been on vehicle. 2 track sessions plus driving. Plugs changed every three yrs for iridium and every other yr fo regular plugs. Warranty on plugs usually 2 yrs, but if run hard, in change after last run. Use Techron every fifth tank.

D

Deleted member 8987

I had a long, hard think about this.

Generally when symptomology dictates a failure is eminent, parts get replaced.
The big exception to that is coils.

Based entirely on expert testimony from this august group, I keep two cases of those on the shelf.

I have discovered that a pot hole is good enough reason to change out a coil.

So far, have not had one fail in service. I suppose in the previous 55 years never having one fail in service doesn't count.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I have had to replace newer rubber hoses in less than 10 years. I think the rubber has changed. Both the TR3 and AH had a failure in a radiator hose. The mini, I used silicone hoses and they have had no problems. My issue is that I like restoring cars, but I hate having to replace broken parts.

I am now going over to a friends house to help with his Morris Minor. He has a faulty starter, we already replaced the brake master but he has a leak somewhere. He should really invite over better mechanics!
Jerry

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I had a long, hard think about this.

Generally when symptomology dictates a failure is eminent, parts get replaced.
The big exception to that is coils.

Based entirely on expert testimony from this august group, I keep two cases of those on the shelf.

I have discovered that a pot hole is good enough reason to change out a coil.

So far, have not had one fail in service. I suppose in the previous 55 years never having one fail in service doesn't count.

I've had one that I remember in the same time period or perhaps a bit longer. The coil just quit without warning. Only issue is that it was hard to diagnose on the side of the road with no ohm meter handy. Finally ran out of other things to test or replace.
Tom

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I carried extra coil and points. Had a 79 XJ6 that would die on the way to work. Restart and ran fine. One morning I saw black smoke in the mirror and watched the tach die and the ignition light come on. Coil was hot. Started to change out and found the terminals weren't tight. Tightened and ran without dying for the next two yrs. Still have the extra coil for my other cars.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Like so many other things, there is tremendous variability in coil longevity. I've had a few fail in service on my TR3; what was probably the original 1956 Lucas coil on TS13571L broke down on the way to Triumphest 2009. Didn't fail completely, just made the engine run bad (lots of misfires, lack of power and so on). I had just gotten into town when it started acting up, and finished driving to the event that way.

Only coil I found at the event was a Lucas "Sports" coil. It only lasted about 2 years before it failed, on the freeway during rush hour. A much "harder" failure, I did manage to coax the engine to run again, but it took full throttle just to keep it idling and I had to walk away. Initially, I thought it was the condenser, but replacing it made no difference at all.

I've had a couple of failures with GM "electronic" coils, too. When I bought my Buick wagon, it was scared of water and would refuse to run if it even caught sight of a puddle! A new coil solved the problem. Years later, it flunked a smog check and the problem was (eventually) traced to the coil.

Ken Gillanders (who ran British Frame and Engine for many years) once told me he bought a whole case of Lucas Sports coils and tested all of them. He claimed that over half the case was either DOA or tested weak. And he refused to sell the others, discarded the entire case. Ken was a class act.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
This thread just seems strange to me. The only time I have ever changed a coil in 60 plus years of driving was when I upgraded the Prefect from 6 to 12 volts.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
This thread just seems strange to me. The only time I have ever changed a coil in 60 plus years of driving was when I upgraded the Prefect from 6 to 12 volts.

So together we have 1 in 120 years. Still, if it quits, you're dead in the road.
Tom

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I'm not trying to say it doesn't happen, just that the thread seems strange to me since it has never happened to me. Probably just really lucky.