• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hello from new member, and car identification help request

Admiral Beez

Freshman Member
Hello. I’m in Toronto, Canada. I was born in the UK in 1971 and moved to Canada in 1976. I’ve been a huge fan of British cars, having grown up seeing my UK family’s MGs, TVRs and Rovers. My motorcycle for over ten years was a 1969 Triumph Tiger 100, but I’ve yet to pull the trigger on a British car. Maybe at next years British car show in Burlington, ON.

My friend has a photo of a mystery car and asked me if I know what brand it is. See below. The front looks a little like a Gilbern, but the tail is wrong. There were so many fibreglass one-offs and customs back then that perhaps I’ll never know.

CB09A072-9C9C-486D-9CAA-D5EE4F0218F6.jpg

819F23C0-D1C8-4161-9731-0868E42072A4.jpg

369F31DD-035A-4B92-8301-EE7DDCB7DC2C.jpg

Last edited:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
No help at all with the car - In the side picture the rear fenders look a lot like a big Healey - and you are right about the Gilbern front - the back sure looks ugly though.

whereabouts in Toronto are you? I'm in Etobicoke

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Welcome Admiral, I haven't the foggiest what that car is. It is very interesting though.

OP
A

Admiral Beez

Freshman Member
No help at all with the car - In the side picture the rear fenders look a lot like a big Healey - and you are right about the Gilbern front - the back sure looks ugly though.

whereabouts in Toronto are you? I'm in Etobicoke
I'm downtown Toronto, Cabbagetown.

john_j

Jedi Trainee
I've asked on another forum, where usually if you post a pic of some obscure car someone will reply in minutes with the manufacturer and model and whether the guy who assembled it took sugar, but so far nothing certain although suggestion is it might have started life as an Ashley Sportiva, but has been modified.

The bumpers (shiny bits across front and back, do you call them bumpers on the left hand side of the pond? :smile: ) and rear wings/fenders look like big Healey but the front doesn't look like anything I can think of!

Last edited:
OP
A

Admiral Beez

Freshman Member
I've asked on another forum, where usually if you post a pic of some obscure car someone will reply in minutes with the manufacturer and model and whether the guy who assembled it took sugar, but so far nothing certain although suggestion is it might have started life as an Ashley Sportiva, but has been modified.

The bumpers (shiny bits across front and back, do you call them bumpers on the left hand side of the pond? :smile: ) and rear wings/fenders look like big Healey but the front doesn't look like anything I can think of!
Looking at the Sportiva here I’d say that’s the likely genesis of this one-off. https://www.taketotheroad.co.uk/ebay-find-1962-ashley-sportive-gt/

The front is definitely in Gilbern territory.

Thanks for the investigative work!

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Yes, pretty much. Daimler was in a hurry, and cash strapped, so most parts came from someone else's parts bin. The engine, obviously, was their creation, and so was the glassfibre body, but most other components can still be sourced. Mine had a frame-off about 10 years ago, and it took 4 years. But, the time was partly because of the changes I wanted. Example: it took almost a year to get a bell housing to mate the toyo 5-speed.