• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Time flies!!!!

peasoupTR3

Freshman Member
Bronze
Country flag
7 years into this restoration project and things are starting to look like progress is being made. Lack of on-hand free time (and money) make things just a bit slower, when heading to the 'End is in sight" week. Purchased from a seller in Arizona, with intentions of some quick mechanical repairs to get the car roadworthy, and start enjoying the drive. The more I dug into this and that, the more I thought it would be better to do a bit more and a bit more and a bit more. Never thinking it would get to the point of restoration it is at the moment.
During the initial passenger side front suspension dis-assambly and de-greasing, tI found the chassis had been whacked pretty hard. The shock/spring tower was cracked and lower A arm mounting points had been torn away and welded back in place. Not a good start at this point of the quick mechanical repairs. Further checks on the rest of the chassis revealed a few large dents and bends along the way back from the front suspension area. The driver side leaf spring (forward pivot point) had snapped and did a nice accordion style cut into the floor pan/seat area that was about 2 1/2 inches wide by 3-4 inches top to bottom. I was now ready to start doing some searching for a good chassis that I could use. I found quite a few chassis that were in decent/good shape that needed repairs, sand blasting and a good lasting paint job. After adding up the costs of trying to stick with original as when the car left the factory, I started to see that that amount of $$ was more than an aftermarket Ratio chassis.
The new chassis is considerably stiffer, and I'm sure a bit heavier, but was Powder coated and ready for all suspension and running mechanicals to be installed. At that point I was ready to start considering body colors, as I was now changing the chassis to a non original, the whole "as left the factory" idea had been scrapped. I decided to go with a different color on exterior paint and interior, so Heritage certificate has a factory white exterior paint applied. It is now Apple Green, and will have a biscuit color interior.
The motor has been warmed up a bit with a fast road cam, 89 MM piston/liner set, Weber 40's and headers for a bit more fun, so more originality is gone. I will still enjoy driving the car when its finally finished.
. IMG_2316.jpgIMG_2318.jpgIMG_2320.jpgIMG_2725.jpgIMG_2726.jpg
Anyway, its a nice distraction. I will put some more pics up at a later date, showing the current state of "getting there"

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
looks like quite a project, welcome!

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I'm in Stamford. The first Sunday of each month, weather permitting, car nuts gather at the Hayfield's not far from you on Rte 121 in North Salem. All kinds of interesting stuff including at least 4-5 Triumphs.

OP
P

peasoupTR3

Freshman Member
Bronze
Country flag
The CH03 frame - a bit heavier gauge box frame, and weightwise. Nice powder coated finish from manufacturer, with 2 part expanding foam filling the inside area of the box sections- keeps water out and quieter(so I'm told by the company). So far everything seems to be fitting up pretty well. At the moment I'm trying to get the exhaust system routed properly. The header system I purchased through Moss Motors, needed a bit of adjusting with some heat for clearance between Y connector and chassis, down pipe and engine block, #1 exhaust down tube and #1 intake runner - I decided to go with a pair of 40 DCOE Webers, and the intake manifold was contacting the header tube. I'll see how it goes fitting the exhaust - catch you later

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Probable saved you a great deal of trouble going that route. I gather good original frames are very hard to find.

David

OP
P

peasoupTR3

Freshman Member
Bronze
Country flag
Plenty of time now, to catch up on rebuilding- and finding missing/mystery parts. Many cockpit trim pieces missing or totally corroded and un-usable. The rear seat was/is a challenge and took a few attempts (4) and quite a bit of luan plywood and masonite to get somewhat close to a decent looking pattern to fit the vinyl seat material. I may end up going back to modify another panel to make up the short sides where the seat panel meets the inner wheel well arches. I am running out of patience for another shot at the panel for this year, so I will have to avoid looking too close to those 2 spots of wrinkle.:confuse:
For the most part the interior has been a challenge to get a decent fit of the wheel well arches and fitting the carpet to the transmission tunnel with minimum wrinkles as I can manage. The Moss kit is pretty good for the most part, and relatively easy to get installed with pretty decent results for a novice.
The Weber carbs will need to have jetting sorted out, and see what I can come up with for some kind of vacuum advance set up to work in conjunction with the manifold/carbs.
I'm now at the point where the tires are getting closer to the ground for self powered traction, and starting to get a little excited about the first drive. Hopefully no big issues to deal with, so the warm weather can be enjoyed in the back roads of northern CT.
Still need to buff out the fenders, then fit the fenders, hood, apron, trunk/boot lid, spare tire cover, front bumper and figure some seating out. I would like to fit a couple of seats that are slightly wider and longer bottom cushion area for some leg support. I found a company on Ebay that manufacturers custom seats and may give them the go-ahead- I'll see how the $$ goes for now.
Hopefully get things buttoned up by the end of May, if I keep plugging away- one plus with the stay at home during this Pandemic. Hopefully we all get through this whole thing with better times ahead for everyone.
FIqzt5eBStOnBtOnxhsVGg.jpgE7u%sH%XRfyeBX%eFlOLZw.jpg igmdr4YbR+mYAtEHPlyBgQ.jpgEhzD8FZCSByey3JFj8+4pw.jpg

Attachments

• OULeO3F4RnWbrazAYtinDw.jpg
    OULeO3F4RnWbrazAYtinDw.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 25
  • fullsizeoutput_26b6.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_26b6.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 24
  • 60832493276__F88EB528-41AB-4D61-8DF6-2389034D3A4F.jpg
    60832493276__F88EB528-41AB-4D61-8DF6-2389034D3A4F.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Jrd5fM4FSryv1iJG8o%Pww.jpg
    Jrd5fM4FSryv1iJG8o%Pww.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 23

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
That is looking great. The rear wheel arch area was a PITA for me as well. Contact adhesive will stick and release several times so you can get a good fit. In fact the trim work was my least enjoyable part of the car as it is so visible and this was my first go at trim work.

David.

OP
P

peasoupTR3

Freshman Member
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks for the encouraging compliment:encouragement:. I'll keep plugging away and see how fast the summer weather gets here before I'm ready for the road.
Stay healthy