• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Doing a favor, Is it worth the trouble.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
As a lot of us know, the T series MGs have different bolts, washers, threads, nut and bolt head sizes (Whitworth), than later MGs. Restoring a T series to factory specs is a chore finding the proper bits. You make up lists of who has what in the special hardware and where they are at, possibly in another country, so you obtain a knowledge of where to get this stuff. When someone asks a question of where to buy the hardware or parts, what size, what thread, etc, you dig into your notes and brain to try and help the individual out. Others jump into the conversation as it should be and some say, hey you can get that stuff from Ace Hardware! :highly_amused: So before you can explain that's not possible, the guy thanks the Ace Hardware guy because he get the stuff much cheaper and buys nuts bolts & washers, then complains because nothing fits properly or it doesn't look the same. This is just one instance, there are many others. So, why do we waste our time and effort? Makes me wonder at times if it's worth the effort. :rolleyes2: PJ

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
It's a good thing that some people think it is worth it. Otherwise many would miss the opportunity to increase their knowledge of the cars and to share in the camaraderie and fellowship with other enthusiast. The forums are what they are, you give what you can and take what you want.

Country flag
Sometimes bad info is given, almost always with good intent. You have to take the bad with the good. I personally am incredibly grateful to the host of people on the BCF that are willing to go the extra mile to share their expertise and suggestions. Without them my Bugeye and BN4 would not be in the shape they are today. It’s the good folks like PJ that keep all of this going! Yep, it’s worth it for sure!
Larry

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I do think the answer is 'it depends' I have non standard screws on the Midget - and non standard seats/ removed sidelights and reverse lights / non standard colour (for the year) Harley exhaust - just off the top of my head. So mine is not original and was never intended to be. OTOH if I were doing a T series I would likely try harder to keep it original - especially if I wanted to show it. My Vauxhall I am trying to keep more original because of its rarity. so, not just different strokes for different folks but different horses for different courses.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
TOC said:
"No good deed goes unpunished".

Just recently put a photo up on a FB group of a tool we made back in the early '70's, to make pulling a Lotus twin-cam engine easier. Now this tool has removed and installed more T/C engines than most people have ever even seen...
The first response was to the effect that the tool would destroy the threads of the plug holes.

My initial intent in posting it was driven by seeing pix of an Elan engine being removed by slinging it with a bunch of ropes and a hoist. Thought that "iffy" and posting the photo of the tool might help some to avoid the risk and bother of the rope method.

The tool:

TCTool1.jpg

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I've got something like that for the small engines. Works good, non are heavy enough to damage the threads. Torqueing plugs does more damage

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've got something like that for the small engines. Works good, non are heavy enough to damage the threads. Torqueing plugs does more damage

Yup.

Not sure how much these Twink engines weigh, never put one on a scale. But I'd guesstimate at about 200~250LB, max. As long as the tool's plug hole ends are wound in snugly and the ½" steel plate secured tightly, nothing short of pounding it with a hammer would cause thread damage. ISTR we referenced it from a recommended tool in some Lotus service bulletin, but can't be certain now. <shrug>

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Paul, you mean to say that your Ace doesn't stock Whitworth fasteners?

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I've got a cellarfull of odd nuts, bolts, screws, Metric, Whitworth, US...also ring compressor, spring compressor, tap and die sets, all kinds of auto junk. I dread having to move.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
It's always worth helping someone out. I think it's a given in the vintage car hobby that there are so many variables in play, that sometimes things that work on one car may not necessarily work on another car, even if they are the same make, model and model year. Even if the advice or favor isn't 100% accurate, it usually can get someone into the ballpark so they can figure the rest out.

British cars actually seem to be more consistent than American cars in this category, something that works on a Mark II Sprite will probably work on a Mark IV. On the other hand, in 1953, Plymouth made three different types of taillight lenses and housings during the model year and there is zero interchangeability between the styles, i.e. you can't use the lens from one style with the housing of another one.