• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Headlights

• Thread starter Deleted member 8987
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8987

Not marque specific, but pretty sure UK and such specific.
I've driven this Jag for 11-1/2 years now. Almost a daily driver.
Almost impossible to drive at night.
NO other vehicle I have or have had exhibits the searing light from oncoming vehicles like this does.
I attributed part of that to it being RHD, with the headlight focus more to that side.

I read importation rules from the time this car was imported (1983-ish), supposed to change headlights, windscreen, not sure what else.
Near as I can tell, factory windscreeen, polarized. Maybe the polarization has something to do with the brightness.

But headlights.

Lucas incandescent sealed beam.

I realized early on the aim was different. low beams, set to see the road and more to right side....high beams go off the road to the right.

One of the highs finally quit. Intermittent quit.

No big deal, order some new bulbs, right?

No. Can't go down to The Auto Parts Store and buy 7", incandescent sealed beam bulbs any more. Speedway, yeah, and wait (and hope they don't break en-route).

So I ordered the lowest power Halogens, 40W, whereas standard incandescent are 35W. Close enough.

Lo, and Behold, I can adjust to see A) the road, B) the right side of the road, and C) high beams flick to left of that (like, down the middle of the silly road now).

Something to remember when dealing with Lucas sealed beams on original RHD cars, eye guess.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I went with Euro spec units for the MG. The Lotus' and Alfas got Bosch or Cibie with H-4's. Same with the Merc.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Speaking of headlights, have you noticed that headlights on todays cars seem much brighter and more glaring than they did in years past? Also, some cars (and especiallly trucks) seem to have so many lights that you feel like you're in a scene from Close Encounters when they pull up behind you!

Country flag
You’re right, but usually the truck lights go right over my head because they are so far off the ground...

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

Speaking of headlights, have you noticed that headlights on todays cars seem much brighter and more glaring than they did in years past? Also, some cars (and especiallly trucks) seem to have so many lights that you feel like you're in a scene from Close Encounters when they pull up behind you!

yeah....and the DRL's aren't adjustable. And I am running into vehicles (newer) where if the headlight bulb goes, you have to replace the entire assembly.

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

Mine say Lucas. Did not see any RHD or LHD markings, but they are different Lucas....one says "Mazda" on the back....which is a manufacturer....my Model A had Mazda bulbs. The new ones, can't find a "RHD" marking either. I figured the owner who brought it in changed them, just could not figure out why my 6v positive grounded Ford worked better.

I still have the Lucas bulbs...have to check closely for markings.