• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 110A Alternator

Ripper01

Country flag
My first post for help. I recently purchased a 110A alternator for my TR-6. This is a huge increase over the current Lucas alternator installed. I have seen the posting on the physical alterations possibly needed but do I need to make a major change to the wiring? If so are there any references?
On the VTR forum there was a link that looked promising but ended in a 404 error message- not availible.
Thank you all,
Rip

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
What year ? Is there an Ammeter or Voltmeter in your dash instrument cluster ?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'd say it also depends on what you plan to do with all that current. But in general, yeah, you're gonna need some wiring improvements. The existing charge path (alternator back to battery) is somewhere around 12 AWG; you're gonna need more like 4 AWG.

Early car with an ammeter; probably the easiest way is to lose the ammeter and convert to a voltmeter. Otherwise you'll have to run new heavy wires to and from the ammeter, plus rig some kind of shunt so only a calibrated fraction of the current actually goes through the meter.

Without the ammeter, you can just run a new heavy wire from the alternator to the starter solenoid (to join with the cable from the battery).

Last edited:

ed_h

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Two questions:

What mods to the car require a 110 amp alternator?

Serious upgrades to the wiring will be needed. Are you sure it is worth it?

Ed

OP
Ripper01

Ripper01

Country flag
I have a 1975 with a voltmeter. A 90 plus amp was recommended to me but does seem pretty big for what I need. Definately want to replace the Lucas alternator with a bigger one. I can still return it for an exchange.

ed_h

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The last 18ACR I bought was rated at 60 amps. I think the originals were only around 45.

Ed

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Unless you have some specific need for high current, like a high-power audio system, a 55-amp alternator should be more than adequate. That would power all the usual stuff, plus modern upgrades, like driving lights, electronic ignition, a decent radio, and so on. If you do need something on the order of 100A, you are using about the same current as a starter, so wiring has to be sized like a starter, and connections must have large contact area and be bolted together good and tight. It's not a trivial undertaking.

If you don't mind telling us what you're doing, which needs high current, maybe we can make some suggestions.

OP
Ripper01

Ripper01

Country flag
Good points. I was recommended to replace my alternator with a 100 amp one but the more I researched it, the more work it would be. In fact I just replaced my headlights with LEDs so the draw is even lower now. Will replace the Lucas with a lower amp Bosch or Delco. I want the built in voltage regulator functionality.

I had purchased the high power alt on Amazon and returned it, no problem.
Thank you all for the inputs.