Thread: Torque Sticks

Discuss general restoration and car care topics (paint & body, upholstery, woodworking, etc) as well as tools.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

Torque Sticks

I did professional auto repair and diagnosis for probably 40 years according to she who keeps track of that stuff.

About 20 years ago, the clueless individual ran the stop sign, and my career was over.

Saturday I helped at a Church sponsored car care Saturday, and saw Torque Sticks for the first time.

When were these invented, when did they come into use? I can imagine Snap-On with their new stuff to wow the folks in the trenches having them first.

Interweb reading seems to indicate they work well for some things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    129 Posts

Re: Torque Sticks

Been around for at least 30 years that I know of. Accuracy is pretty low though, from what I understand. They need to be matched to the impact gun; but impact guns get weaker as they age, etc. And if you pick up a gun with a bigger hammer inside (or longer lever arm), it will put more torque through the stick than it's rating.

Don't recall where or who offhand, but I'm pretty sure I've seen a note from a major car maker saying a torque wrench is required to tighten lug nuts.
    Randall
    56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
    71 Stag LE1473L waiting engine rebuild
    71-72-73 Stag LE2013LBW waiting OD gearbox rebuild

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

20 years ago nobody around here had heard of them.

Strange.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Thought about buying a set when I worked for a shop. Matco driver showed me a set, wound up buying a full Snap-On torque wrench set, which I still use today. As TR3driver says, impact guns are accurate for a while and/if you use same exact air pressure each time.
    Larry K
    58 Jag 3.4 MK 1 auto under restoration, 57 Jag 3.4 MK1 manual (parts car),
    03 Cooper S, 2011 Cooper S Countryman, 2011 Land Rover LR4 HSE LUX, 1964 Valiant V200
    Also had , 68 Cortina 1600E, 64 Spit 4 & 80 1500, 73 GT6 3, 71 XJ6, 79 XJ6, 86 XJS V-12, 53 XK120 OTS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

You read up on them, everybody has a different idea as to how they work. Makes your head hurt.
    Within 20% of marked value, maybe.

Worth the effort? Nah.

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Are they a little better than the Tire shop guy just setting the impact gun to "$" and calling it good.

I always try to take my wheel to the shop if I need tire work and torque it myself at home with a proper wrench. Have thought of taking the wrench with me and re torquing the nuts on the tire shop forecourt if I have more than one wheel done.

One thing I have noticed is that my front brake rotors never warp.

David
    TR3A TS75524L

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

I have watched the tire guys just zap them with impact. At my one store I would torque them before I left and it irritated the manager. I would hold up two fingers and give a thumbs down. Watched an alignment thru the waiting room window as the tech used vice grips to adjust toe-in. Had a pissy fit right there and he had to borrow a wrench. Still had to realign when I got home. 3 degs off. Never have gone back. My shop now is two blocks away and gave me the torque specs and offered wrench to check.
    Larry K
    58 Jag 3.4 MK 1 auto under restoration, 57 Jag 3.4 MK1 manual (parts car),
    03 Cooper S, 2011 Cooper S Countryman, 2011 Land Rover LR4 HSE LUX, 1964 Valiant V200
    Also had , 68 Cortina 1600E, 64 Spit 4 & 80 1500, 73 GT6 3, 71 XJ6, 79 XJ6, 86 XJS V-12, 53 XK120 OTS.