• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cut down windshield

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I meant to post this awhile back, but better late than never. I ended up going with 1/4” polycarbonate and it was easy to work and the edges polished out nicely.
Rut

Attachments

• 178B5552-185F-44C3-8D14-C9B790C24BDA.jpg
    178B5552-185F-44C3-8D14-C9B790C24BDA.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 203
  • A3571645-6922-4224-8882-551B8D3CC765.jpg
    A3571645-6922-4224-8882-551B8D3CC765.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 174

Stan Kowznofski

Country flag
I'm just curious, how are you going to get that thru inspection or is this not a road going car? In PA you'd never get away with the short windshield or the polycarbonate.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I'm just curious, how are you going to get that thru inspection or is this not a road going car? In PA you'd never get away with the short windshield or the polycarbonate.
Stan,
No inspections in Alabama outside of vin verification when you buy your tag. No titles either and the vintage tags are a one time purchase for the life of ownership. I have titles for all of my LBCs, but the license issuer never wants to see them, much less record them. I don’t think you even need to have a windshield to get a tag.
Rut

Country flag
Now you need to make some wiper post covers.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Now you need to make some wiper post covers.

Or some really dinky wipers. :wink-new:

Nice job on the screen... sort of a continuous Brooklands thing.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Or some really dinky wipers. :wink-new:

Nice job on the screen... sort of a continuous Brooklands thing.

wiper post covers or itty bitty wipers...hmmmmm, new project!
Rut

mxp01

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Rut:

I've seen these for sale - pretty pricey. Did you do this yourself? If yes, can you explain how you did it?

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Rut:

I've seen these for sale - pretty pricey. Did you do this yourself? If yes, can you explain how you did it?

It was a lot easier than I thought it would be! I posted a want ad in the BST forums for a complete windshield frame and found one for $50. I cleaned it up and cut the frame and uprights at the height I wanted and drilled/tapped a new mounting hole just below where the original center hole was located. I ordered a windshield gasket from Moss which was the most expensive part of the project and a 1/4” thick piece of 12”x48” Lexan via the internet. I used a template I made from my old windshield and cut the Lexan with a jigsaw/polycarbonate blade and finished the shape with a mounted disc sander. I used 80 grit sandpaper on a 12” long piece of 1x2 to finish the shape and make everything straight and true followed by progressively finer sandpaper down to 3000 grit w/d which left a nice polished edge. It was a fun project and I’m going to modify the height of the frame and uprights to give it a more finished look. The Lexan is tough and flexible, very easy to bend and insert into the rubber windshield gasket. Probably about $150 total in the project.
Good luck, Rut

mxp01

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks for the instructions. I think I might try the same thing. Can you tell us what you are thinking when you say you want to modify the uprights to give it a more finished look.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Thanks for the instructions. I think I might try the same thing. Can you tell us what you are thinking when you say you want to modify the uprights to give it a more finished look.

looking at my 2nd picture you can see that I cut the frame and uprights off at the same angle in relation to the body of the car. While the angle is not the big issue to me, I think it would look much better if the frame and uprights were cut off lower and some type of cap or filler made to finish the top edge. It could be something as simple as a piece of 3/8” thick plate welded to the uprights and shaped. Thoughts?
Rut

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I like the look and what you’ve done overall but I do agree that the uprights need to be finished off. Looking at then from the front I would recommend a radius similar to the windshield. Form a cap out of maybe 1/8 inch aluminum and have it welded in and then finish and polish it.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I didn’t know Bugeye guy had one and I like the shorter uprights, but I almost had heart failure after seeing the price! I think I’ll cut mine a little lower and tig some caps on, then grind them into a more pleasant shape.
Thanks for the input, Rut

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
If you plan on tagging the car, check your state regs, I know for a fact some states will not approve that mod, because overall size might not meet their inspection specs, including wiper area. Good luck. PJ

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
If you plan on tagging the car, check your state regs, I know for a fact some states will not approve that mod, because overall size might not meet their inspection specs, including wiper area. Good luck. PJ
Paul,
Alabama does inspections for vin numbers and that’s about it. No title, just a bill of sale for a tag and the vintage tags are good for as long as you own the car...I think it’s a $25 one time fee. I don’t think you even need a windshield!
Rut

Mk3Sprite

Freshman Member
Rut, Looks cool, why not remove the wiper motor, wheel boxes and squirters and fill the holes with a blanking plate? cheers David.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Because it rains in Alabama and while this may be OK for local cruising, if Rut wants to make it to the AH Conclave next year in Crystal River, FL, he may want to have a complete windshield. Or in FL, Bikini Tops are being seen. Let in the air but keeps the sun off of your head. There were two in appearance at the Tampa All Brits Show this past weekend.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Rut, Looks cool, why not remove the wiper motor, wheel boxes and squirters and fill the holes with a blanking plate? cheers David.
This was just a fun project and I have the original full windshield with new glass, rubber, and anodizing. I pulled out my top yesterday and gave it a good cleaning and inspection and will roll it back up on the frame where it will live in the car. This is a fair weather car that never gets driven enough although it’s the most fun. The MGB ‘driver’ gets the most use since it’s built to keep up with modern traffic and I can get in and out of it relatively easy. I’ve got a bad back, need a new right hip and all the things common to getting older, but I’m just like Billy Joel and his Cadillac, AC, AC, ac. The TR4A is the next easiest to get in and out of, but it needs new aluminum steering rack mounts (which are sitting on the shelf) to be fun. One of these days...
Rut

Attachments

• 0191CFDF-D6EA-4EFD-805D-D17747814D32.jpg
    0191CFDF-D6EA-4EFD-805D-D17747814D32.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 2306236D-B4AB-400A-9010-D23B94D655B0.jpg
    2306236D-B4AB-400A-9010-D23B94D655B0.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 120
  • 2D832078-C5B9-4226-AE13-859541D8A35F.jpg
    2D832078-C5B9-4226-AE13-859541D8A35F.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 140

JPSmit