• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Dinky - my mother's first car

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
So, my mother and her sister came to Canada for 2 years in 1956 for an adventure. They too the Groote Beer to Montreal and then the train to Toronto. They then went to to Vancouver and saw their brother who had just immigrated. In Vancouver they got driver's licenses, bought a Morris Minor (for I think $250) and drove back to Toronto through the USA. They named the car Dinky.

There have been stories of their trip - driving uphill at Yosemite until they started rolling backwards, having to wait 2-3 days somewhere for the right sized tire to be delivered and the bumper falling off the car and having to be rewelded.

I saw my mother the other day and she had a pic - from her sister. I have never seen a picture of the car before and thought you might enjoy. This my mother probably at least a year before she met my father - and both sisters married and stayed in Canada.

IMG_1359.jpg

Country flag
Great picture, image from a different time

Country flag
reminds me of a story my mother has told. She loved that show when it aired. After it was cancelled she and my dad saw Jerry Van Dyke perform at a dinner theater and she had the chance to tell him how she enjoyed it. His response, "You were the only one apparently"..

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
My mom attended college in Lincoln Nebraska during the final days of WW-II. She and her gal pals would ride around an a Model-A. It was dubbed "The Jersey Bounce."

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Dr. E, my hometown, though we moved there after your mom's time, in the early 60s.

Very neat. She kept in touch with one of her pals as long as she lived. That woman was a Lincoln native. We got a few stories of the Jersey Bounce when we'd come to adulthood, Just harmless and fun stuff.