• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cigar Lighter

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Saw this cigar lighter installed on a BT7 offered on BaT today:

liter.jpg

Odd thing is, my BJ7 came from the cigar-smoking original owner with the exact same lighter with the word "LITER" on the knob. I always thought it was a generic add-on, but know I wonder if the dealers had them to offer as an option. Anyone ever seen another?

RestoreThemAll

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Rick, do you not have an OD?
My BJ7 came with a liter also. Black knob but mounted in a hole above the heater controls. I think it was installed on this side of the pond I filled the hole and covered it with dash material.
Dale

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Rick, do you not have an OD?
My BJ7 came with a liter also. Black knob but mounted in a hole above the heater controls. I think it was installed on this side of the pond I filled the hole and covered it with dash material.
Dale
The car did have an OD until I put the V8 in it, now it just has a 5 speed. The liter was installed between the screen washer and grab handle.

IMG_1243.jpg

RestoreThemAll

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That's very close to where mine was but not exact. I'll try to find a old pic

RestoreThemAll

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Doesn't show liter, only the socket above the heater.

Attachments

• Dale old dash.jpg
    Dale old dash.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 121

RestoreThemAll

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Anderson /Moment restoration guide says that there was a cigar lighter listed as a factory option but not illustrated in the parts book showing where it would be mounted.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
a

Yes liters were an option but not factory installed so dealers or owners like me placed them where they wanted too.

In my BJ8 Ilocated mine in the lower left hand corner of the glove compartment dash to offset the windsheld pomp on the other side.

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Healey Rick, Is that your choke pull? Strange place for it. I thought most of the pulls that were mounted on the dash were just to the right of the key. Was your's moved to accommodate your V8?

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Healey Rick, Is that your choke pull? Strange place for it. I thought most of the pulls that were mounted on the dash were just to the right of the key. Was your's moved to accommodate your V8?

That is the choke pull, which occupies a hole the previous owner drilled for something long forgotten. It just happened to line up perfectly with the choke lever on the Holley four-barrel. The original hole for the choke pull is now occupied by the long-handled dipping switch for the headlamps, that was moved from the floor due to the narrowing of the footwells. Sorry, you'll have to turn your head a bit.

IMG_0416.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0240.jpg
    IMG_0240.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0415.jpg
    IMG_0415.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 73

Bustren

Freshman Member
Country flag
My BJ8 had a cigar lighter placed on right side of centre panel. The lighter itself was missing and I removed the lighter body when renovating the car.
Later when I bought the certificate of the car from British Motor Heritage Trust I was amused to read the factory option of "Cigar Lighter" installed.
I have now a NOS BMC cigar lighter in stock assuming it was the one installed, but I am not really sure.
Cigar lighter.jpg

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
My BJ8 had a cigar lighter placed on right side of centre panel. The lighter itself was missing and I removed the lighter body when renovating the car.
Later when I bought the certificate of the car from British Motor Heritage Trust I was amused to read the factory option of "Cigar Lighter" installed.
I have now a NOS BMC cigar lighter in stock assuming it was the one installed, but I am not really sure.

View attachment 61063

The only BJ8 lighters I’ve seen were installed below the washer push button on a bracket. I have an original(best to my knowledge).

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Is Liter the metric equivalent of Lighter?

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Is Liter the metric equivalent of Lighter?

I laughed at that spelling, too. That lighter knob is so unusual that I couldn't believe it when I saw it show up on the BaT car. Reminds me of a 1995 Z/28 I had that had a "CHECK GAGES" light. Drove me crazy every time it lit up. So much so that I'd yell "Check Spelling!" at it.

Kainopong

Most of the pictures I have seen show the lighter center installed above the heater controls. It would be a good question for the experts on where it was installed from the factory. I believe the item AHH5759 was a Smiths. Attached are pictures of a lighter off a ‘58 - The base of the metal has “Smiths Motor Accessories Limited England” Stamped and a black Bakelite knob and removable black insulating cover. Markings on the lighter were SK76064/27 (likely Smiths part number) and 12V.
The concours guide isn’t very helpful here and only lists it as optional. 3F2A2C23-F305-4ED3-950F-72B744068849.jpg1D458278-E2A6-426D-9718-1D0AD4A949ED.jpg9E13ABC7-0703-4432-BA38-FC0F4DC23DEB.jpg621FAD1F-CFA9-4901-89E4-3F17F26F9027.jpg

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
a

They were never factory installed , only done by dealers or owners .

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
That is the choke pull, which occupies a hole the previous owner drilled for something long forgotten. It just happened to line up perfectly with the choke lever on the Holley four-barrel. The original hole for the choke pull is now occupied by the long-handled dipping switch for the headlamps, that was moved from the floor due to the narrowing of the footwells. Sorry, you'll have to turn your head a bit.

View attachment 60922
Does your Speed Pilot work?

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Nope, but it looks cool as heck. :fat:
Mine works, I tested it but haven’t installed it, yet. I pulled it out of a junkyard from a Saab. I think the Saab was a Rally version they made and I grabbed all the cables, etc.

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Mine works, I tested it but haven’t installed it, yet. I pulled it out of a junkyard from a Saab. I think the Saab was a Rally version they made and I grabbed all the cables, etc.

Mine was in a pile of parts the seller had when I bought the car. Between my GPS driven speedo and Ford transmission, there's no way I could figure out how to make it operable. Take a look at what they sell for on UK eBay. :greedy_dollars: