• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Anyone else?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
As I see the TV screen 1/3 covered with scrolling ads during the news and weather,

As I see the bottom of the TV screen showing a box which gives the subject of the news item I'm trying to watch,

As I see the laptop screen covered with popups, videos, and ads on news sites,

As I see the top 1/4 of the laptop screen turned into one giant ad with annoying videos,

As I see websites freezing with "Turn off your ad blocker",

As I see the websites covered with ads which actually cover the content I'm trying to read *after* I turn off the ad blocker,

As I see "Subscribe to our exciting email newsletter!" popups covering the site's screen,

As I see YouTube videos preceded with 30 or 60 second video ads, even tho' I'm signed in to YouTube,

I seriously consider cutting it all off. Why bother using it any more. Enough.

(Side note: when I was a kid, Readers Digest had no ads at all; subscriptions and use fees paid for the magazine. Now I see it's 50% ads.)

yeesh

Country flag
yea I get that stuff to with local TV and the web. And longer Youtube videos stop in the middle now to run ads. I know someone has to pay for content and the resources to provide it, just wish that someone was someone else, maybe some country we don't like...

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm already there. Don't watch broadcast television at all, except sometimes out of curiosity when it's on in a restaurant or whatever. If a website won't work with ad block turned on, I don't need to see that website. I block almost all scripts as well; no reason I have to allow some stranger to run programs on my computer (and make no mistake, scripts are programs).

Plenty of places to play, without having to wade in the hog wallow.

Ads of course are how content providers get paid; often it does come from countries we don't like. You'd be amazed at how often "free" sites reference scripts based in Russia or ...

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
This is why I don't pay for cable or dish TV. I refuse to spend money to have MORE advertising for things I could care less about crammed down my throat. I almost exclusively listen to public radio in the car (although a couple stations have a no-commercial hour when I'm coming to work), using the TV for anything other than watching DVDs is very rare for me, and the internet is unwelcome in my house for a variety of reasons.

If I want a product or service, I will seek out companies or individuals offering that product or service. I do not want products or services seeking out me - and destest that they profile and data mine to target me specifically.

I don't mind paying for things - I don't object to things that aren't paid for being funded by advertising. But advertising has become so brutal and aggressive that I actively try to avoid it anymore. A commercial that states "this is our company, this is what we do, here is how to contact us" makes me inclined to keep that company in mind. A commercial that deceives, frightens, threatens or otherwise tries to convince me that I need their product whether I do or not will make me not want to to business with that organization.

Country flag
Speaking of radio in the car, with the new daily driver it has a touch screen display and some of the radio stations now put out a message that comes up during music/talk, as sponsored by a company or individual. Personal injury attorneys round here seem to like running their names and numbers in folks cars.

D

Deleted member 8987

hmmm.
I get no popups on the computer, no ewetoob ads (once in a while a lead-in, often nothing there but wait 5 seconds), haven't seen a lot of TV popups.
I imagine not having a smart TV (or refrigerator....or stove...or furnace...or anything) helps. Running XP and FF52ESR, or PaleMoon, or MyPal helps. Old enough FF I can set it to allow the add-ons that block that sXXt, that the overlords at Mozilla now deny you so you can get SPAMmed with ads.
Nice here.
Never got a screen ad or pop-up on my car radio...8-tube AM helps, eye guess.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Around here,we have the bigger car dealers running ads that
seem to turn the volume WAY up.
I want to call them & YELL in the phone - "IS THIS THE DEALER -
ON THE TV?".They'd probably hang up on me.