• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Yuri Gagarin Not the first man in space?

Country flag
Maybe, but considering the times a successful launch and return of a man I would think would have been major headlines in the Soviet press. The actual launch yea I could see that as secret, but only kept that way if it failed, like the secrecy surrounding the Russians that died during that period. And the video when talking about secrets is mostly training, testing and failure issues. The Soviets didn't want anything to indicate they could make mistakes or have accidents, but wanted to show the world only the "perfection" of the Soviet system and mankind's next step in evolution.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
If the video is correct they did not have their cosmonaut to show off to the world because he was in hospital in China so they had to come up with a replacement.

Like all those historical docudramas facts can sometimes get a little tweaked. Still an interesting video.

David

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold

Like all those historical docudramas facts can sometimes get a little tweaked...

Ain't that the truth. Seems that nearly every "history" or "science" show these days is full of CGI, speeded-up "frame rate", conjecture, assumptions, spooky music, and carefully cherry-picked factoids, and geared to appeal to 12 year olds. (My neighbor's son, who's 12, says the shows are stupid, "just like video games".)

yeesh

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I was at lunch recently with a fellow I barely know - he was talking about watching a show about Argentina - he described seeing pictures of the house where Hitler lived after the war. I kept my mouth shut, but it is deeply troubling.

Country flag
Even better are those with questionable facts and someone who doesn't even know what video to look for. Like the director said "get me some video of tanks" or "airplanes and the ocean". I've seen video from the 1997 Titanic movie used online to prove some nefarious conspiracy or another. I wonder how the next generations will view history, at least those not willing to dig into primary sources instead of using videos of questionable accuracy.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
We had a client a decade ago who was CONVINCED he was the spawn of a woman who'd been abducted by aliens. He was certain the moon landings were faked, too. He was fired after railing at Herself over the phone, told he'd have the Sheriff's department on his doorstep if he contacted us ever again.

The planet has some strange individuals roaming free.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
"The planet has some strange individuals roaming free. "

That's for sure.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Horrible thing is the Flat Earth theory makes more sense to an uneducated person than the truth. Why don't penguins and Australians fall off the round ball that is the earth? And if you drilled an elevator shaft from the north pole to the south pole, would you come out standing on your head? Think about it.

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Horrible thing is the Flat Earth theory makes more sense to an uneducated person than the truth. Why don't penguins and Australians fall off the round ball that is the earth? And if you drilled an elevator shaft from the north pole to the south pole, would you come out standing on your head? Think about it.

Unless the elevator had some sort of flipping mechanism at the zero-G nullpoint in the center of the planet, yeah you'd be headstanding all the way from the center to the pole. Assuming the elevator were adequately hardened against the heat and molten heavy metals at the core as well.

Country flag
Yea, but wouldn't we know if the earth was flat since all the cats in the world would be around the edges knocking things over the edge if it was??