• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

macOS Catalina

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Has anyone tried loading this operating system on their Mac computers yet? I have heard mixed statements about programs no longer working if they are not ready of Catalina. I am particularly trying to find out if LightRoom6 will still run. I know most of you are not on Macs, but I thought I would ask.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I upgraded to Catalina yesterday. I know it’s too early to tell but so far so good.
I’ll report back if I encounter any issues.

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I loaded it yesterday and haven’t seen anything no working in my limited use.
I do know that they say 32 bit apps won’t work o. It. There is a way to check to see if you have any 32 bit apps loaded but I forget what it is. I did it some time ago and either didn’t have any or the ones that were I wasn’t using anymore.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I have a mid-2011 iMac and simply can't upgrade past High Sierra. However I have been thinking of upgrading to a newer box eventually, in which case I will care about what apps will or won't run.

To determine which apps "should" run on Catalina and which definitely won't, click on the Apple at upper-left, then "About This Mac". Then click the "System Report" button.
On the System report page, select "Applications" on the left side (under the "Software" section". Once the applications on your system all load up, look to the far right, under the column "64-bit (Intel)". Any Apps that say "Yes" should run. Any that Say "No" won't.

Screen Shot 2019-10-11 at 2.07.03 PM.jpg

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I work at a college supporting 200+ mac machines in classrooms. I generally recommend waiting a while - especially with Apple's OS offering. This has only been out for 2-3 days and there will probably be a LOT of patches and updates over the next month or so while they figure out what really works and what really didn't.

If you received any warnings while running 10.14 Mojave along the lines of a dialog box saying "this app needs to be updated and may be unsupported in future releases of Mac OS" then that app is not going to work on Catalina at all. They have removed all the 32 bit compatibility libs, which effectively deprecates all 32 bit software. We have several apps that will not run on Catalina here at the school, but will not be moving to it for at least another 4 - 6 months. If you use anything that makes use of a 3rd party kernel extension (Wacom drawing tablets are one example) you may have some trouble getting its driver to work since 3rd party kernel extensions are tricky (even in Mojave it took some doing to make these work).

On a consumer level there shouldn't be too much under-the-hood difference once they get the kinks straightened out. For sysadmins, it looks (from what has been revealed thus far) to be a collossal nightmare. Apple has been definately moving towards a consumer-level only mindset with their software.

OP
Brooklands

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I am sorry to hear what a difficulty this will be for institutions like yours. It was schools that allowed Apple to grow so much early on. I find that it is probably only the Adobe photography apps that will end up giving me trouble, although I cannot see if iMovie is part of Catalina yet. But then a lot of my early iMovie projects never were able to be edited in later versions of iMovie, and the library systems got all confused with many of the movies listing a 0kb in the current version. I only use it for a few functions while using editing clips, but use FotoMagico 5 for most of my editing. So I should be able to find a work around if iMovie is gone, and at least I have the saved final movie version.

I will be holding off for a few months at least. But I really do not look forward to having to pay monthly for Adobe apps in the future instead of buying a program and using it for years. I would be much happier buying a current version for one fee.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Hi Dave - good to hear from you. Your point about "monthly rentals" for software got me wondering ... if someone has to move to the monthly model, I assume that includes frequent updates and "improvements"; you're using the software via the Cloud - not just from your own personal installation. But if those updates and improvements aren't carefully tested *before release* to work smoothly on all versions of the actual Operating Systems, that could screw up a lot of end users.

Think I'll go back to my pre-internet 1983 Osborne with cp/m. Back then the software was provided on stone tablets.
Tom M.

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi Dave - good to hear from you. Your point about "monthly rentals" for software got me wondering ... if someone has to move to the monthly model, I assume that includes frequent updates and "improvements"; you're using the software via the Cloud - not just from your own personal installation. But if those updates and improvements aren't carefully tested *before release* to work smoothly on all versions of the actual Operating Systems, that could screw up a lot of end users.

Think I'll go back to my pre-internet 1983 Osborne with cp/m. Back then the software was provided on stone tablets.
Tom M.

Thats not "exactly" how it works. We got forced here at the college to migrate from a paid permanent installation of Adobe to a monthly lease model (try keeping 5000 individual Adobe logins straight where before we had one serial #). The way it works is, their "creative cloud desktop" application gets installed on your local machine, and then it allows you to download and install whichever Adobe applications you have subscribed to. So you are still installing all the applications on your computer (this is true whether it is Windows or Mac). Everytime you start an Adobe application, it pings back to Adobe and checks to make sure you have permission to run that application (and you have to have a valid Adobe ID, it will periodically require you to reauthenticate with that Adobe ID credentials when you launch an Adobe application). If you havn't paid the rent, the applications will just close and not work. This is really
a bad model for people who don't have a permanent internet connection - you HAVE to have the internet to use these applications. You have a limited time where they will work without phoning home, but dragging your desktop machine down to a Starbucks every 3 weeks or so will get old fast. And you HAVE to pay online - if you don't have online payment capability you don't get to use Adobe products.

If you want to update an application (and its one you are currently paying for), that same creative cloud desktop application will download and install the update on your machine. So the software is still installed and running on your local machine - the licensing of the software is what resides in the cloud. It does have some capability to store files and preferences on the Adobe servers so if you go between several machines it can sync those. You don't always get a choice - some updates are forced. If you have limited bandwidth or a data cap, you might get slammed with a huge bill.

There are some potential advantages to all this - more so for individuals than for institutional users:

1 - You can install the software on as many computers as you want (assuming they are new enough to run it). You can only have it ACTIVE on 2 at any time, so if you want to use it on a 3rd you have to sign out of one of the others (this doesn't remove the software, so you can easily sign it back in as long as only 2 are ever signed in). It may cost less than buying 3 or 4 licenses if you are going to be the only person using it, just in different locations. They can be Windows or Mac - the license doesn't care as long as only 2 are in use.

2 - If you only need an application occasionally, you can activate it for just a month, then cancel it. If 3 months later you need it again, activate for a month and use it, then deactivate. You don't have to buy a license for every application you may ever need.

3 - You always have access to the current version - you don't have to go buy it again when a new version comes out.

In the long run it WILL cost you more - that is the goal of the whole thing afterall. People who were satisfied with the versions they had weren't buying new versions, this is Adobe's way of ensuring that no one rides for cheap on an old version. Microsoft is adopting this model for Office - expect to see other companies do likewise. Unfortunately it is geared to the people who have permanant fast unlimited-data internet and online payment capability - I guess they assume the increased revenue from the monthly model will offset the people who won't be able to buy the products because of that.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Makes me even more thankful for Linux. YEAH, OPEN SOURCE!