• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A door seal windlace

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I was wondering if this car belongs to one of the forum guys. I ask because I wanted to know what the stuff the windlace is held on to, the black backer board.

Attachments

• DSCF0921 doorlace.jpg
    DSCF0921 doorlace.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 123

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
In my TR3A it was like a very thick cardboard. My Skinner kit for the TR2 came with 1/4” plywood as a backer. It also holds the edge of the carpet too, although that’s not shown in the pic.

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks John that is kinda where I am at, I cut some out of the same stuff I made the door panels with, which is a heavy card board pressed paper wood something. The original stuff at the door edge is like tar paper pressed board about a ÂĽ inch thick which would repel water. I liked that because we get sooooo much rain here and that area is at a water shed point.

I went up to HD and they had some synthetic flooring ÂĽ thick that would have been water proof, but I needed to buy a whole package plus there was not enough room to make the full arc because it was not wide enough. I am going try and paint the pressed board, but I doubt the paint will stick well maybe a stain would work better.

Making my own interior saved me some money, but it was a non-cost effective way and it taking more time than I thought. I saved a lot on the door panels, but the carpet was probably wash even at material cost without labor.

steve

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
That happens sometimes. There is still a satisfaction knowing you did it all yourself! I would have done the carpet myself, but had to draw the line somewhere.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
My Skinner kit came with just a length of the fuzzy trim and no backing. I cut 2 pieces of Big Box store Hardboard to match the "A" post profile about 3" wide and going up behind the dash.
As far as I remember I glued and stapled the Fuzzy trim to the body side of the Hardboard then held it in place with several screws. The carpet was glued to the hardboard and had a few screws with cup washers to make sure the carpet stayed in place.
I thought I had more photos but they seem to be in the Photo "Black Hole"

David

This is the only one I can find.
A post trim.jpg

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Well that sounds like what I have planned also David. I can see the image; it is not too difficult. This time I will use some staples myself also because the last time the glue gave out after a couple of years.

What would you use to remove over-sprayed glue on the vinyl of the well arch’s if you heard about someone who re-glued them twice because of poor fitting?

6TTR3A

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I used Weldwood™ original contact cement which is brushed on, hence no overspray.
Buy some MEK (Methyl Ethyl Keytone) which is the thinner for contact cement.
Frank

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks Frank I will use some; over the Years I have heard of MEK . Well yeh I can see a good application for the brush on glue also, I use it on the vinyl pieces that get wrapped around. The brush on is much stronger and that is an important quality.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Be careful of fumes from MEK. Open area and possible respirator if you are using it for a while.
At work a long time ago we were doing some work putting stripes on telephone wire using a mixture of MEK and Acetone as a solvent. Of course no respirators then so we would all have raging headaches by the end of the day. Probable destroyed unknown numbers of brain cells.

David