• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Since when...

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
...did the pronunciation of the word "homage" change from hom'-ij or om'-ij to oh-mahj'?

I know - too much time on my hands. But every time I hear this my stomach churns. SHEESH! Main culprits, of course, are talking heads (especially the ones on the "entertainment news" programs) who seem to need to appear overly erudite.

OK, like Tom (Nutmeg), back to my cave...

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I have many such words that I dislike (for a variety of reasons)... overused, re-pronounced, substituted when something simpler would be better.
My current pet peeve is the overuse of the word "curate" (for something as simple as "select" or similar). "Here we offer our specially curated collection of fine chocolates/wines/motor-oils." :p

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
In the military, one of the most overused words is people saying "concur" instead of "agree."

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
In the military, one of the most overused words is people saying "concur" instead of "agree."

Yeah, but at least they pronounce it properly!

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
While I go to Target (Tar-get), some people go to Tar-jhey

We enjoy "Tar-jhey" but then that's supposed to be a joke.
:eek:

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I have many such words that I dislike (for a variety of reasons)... overused, re-pronounced, substituted when something simpler would be better.
My current pet peeve is the overuse of the word "curate" (for something as simple as "select" or similar). "Here we offer our specially curated collection of fine chocolates/wines/motor-oils." :p

And for me, "curate" is a noun. :wink:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And for me, "curate" is a noun. :wink:
Oh, I thought you used it after the doctor tells you that you have an disease and you ask what the curate is.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Oh, I thought you used it after the doctor tells you that you have an disease and you ask what the curate is.

actually, depending on the seriousness, you ask WHERE the curate is. :grin:

On the other hand I hope you concur that if mispronounced words is at the top of our list of peeves and frustrations, we have a pretty great life! (probably especially curated for us)

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
...did the pronunciation of the word "homage" change from hom'-ij or om'-ij to oh-mahj'? ......
..... Main culprits, of course, are talking heads (especially the ones on the "entertainment news" programs) who seem to need to appear overly erudite.......

Oh-mahj is the correct French pronunciation. Although they spell it hommage. So unless you have the script the talking heads are reading from, you can't really be sure they're pronouncing it wrong. The French sort of have dibs on art references. I've pretty much never heard the hom-mij pronunciation used when talking about art, literature, theater, etc.

In school, my art professor (with his native Brooklyn accent) used oh-mahj for art references. My History professor used hom-ij referring to vassal lords paying off the king.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
MktVQxQ.png

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
One of my least favorites is when the talking heads use "begs the question" when they mean "raises the question".
Harrumph.
Bob

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Ah yes ... I remember when I earned spending money by mowing Aristotle's lawn. Back then, *impact* was a noun - *affect* was a verb.

"The increase in taxes impacted the economy."

yeesh

And journalists were Walter Cronkite, David Brinkley, H V Kaltenborn, Edward Murrow. The "news readers" followed.

Last edited:

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

Bas, I completely concur.

I think that using a more continental pronunciation for words like homage instead of our American pronunciation is more than just an attempt to sound more erudite since it is the way most French people pronounce it. Mirriam Webster does still list a-mij as the correct pronunciation still but also lists o-mazh as acceptable as well.

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
The one that bugs me is when people start what they are going to say with "I mean..." when the haven't said anything yet. Nails on a chalkboard to me. Also "these ones" or "those ones" I mean...

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
And how 'bout the word "like" -

So, like, I was downtown the other day, and, like, there was a girl, like, behind me, who was, like, speaking quickly and like, using the word like, like it was going out of, like, style. She, like must have used the word, like at least, like, 10 times.

It was like driving me crazy.

yeesh

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
One of my least favorites is when the talking heads use "begs the question" when they mean "raises the question".
Harrumph.
Bob

One of my non-favorites is when talking heads, politicians, etc., say "at the end of the day..."

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
And I am SO SICK of the phrase "on the ground." Yeah, it started with "boots on the ground" but now it used by everyone to mean something like "being there" (boots are otherwise).