• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Windows 10 problems

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Microsoft said my laptop needed to be upgraded, which they would do for free, so, I pushed the button, sat back and let them have at it! Well after a couple hours the computer rebooted and the screen was very dim. I tried everything possible to brighten the screen and nothing worked, so I ran a program I have to scan the computer and it said I have an out of date video driver, I downloaded and installed the new driver and everything brightened up as it should be! Found out the (LATEST) Microsoft upgrade for W-10 has a (2006) video driver in it, the latest is 2018! While this was going on, I jumped over to my Linux machine and conducted business as usual. Linux is progressing more and more allowing more windows programs to run in it making it much more user friendly for those who grew up with Microsoft. My next new computer will come with Linux in it. Just can't trust Microsoft anymore! :soapbox:

I really do like the SSD over the old wind up hard drives! :encouragement:

D

Deleted member 8987

Just can't trust Microsoft anymore! :soapbox:

Join the HUGE club. After all the 10BS, my XP machines still work fine. I am certain at some point MS will kill it, maybe not directly, but obliquely. Case in point:
You know about CAPTCHA? The little security tags?
ReCaptcha? Gotta find all instances of something?

Google owns it.

So MS gets FireFox to quit offering new versions for XP, then they get da google to come up with ReCaptcha that will not work with older FireFox, which we cannot update past 52ESR...so there are websites you cannot use because you cannot use ReCaptcha.

It's all the Mighty Hand Of Gates.

Look around.

It's ALL BS.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Paul, are you using WINE to run Windows programs on Linux? I have it installed on mine but have not messed with it to get it working yet.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Called the provider's "support" 'phone number a couple days ago to sort out a problem with the set-top DVR... it had locked me out of ALL channels! As he led me thru a sequence of steps to clear its brain we chatted, I found out he's a Linux user, Ubuntu. Suggested he try Fedora and he said he knew what he'd be doing over the weekend now. hehee.

Mitsy did a presentation to a group a week or two ago, she made the slide show with her Win 10 machine and .pps. The laptop we used for the presentation is an old Dell with Fedora and Office Libre. At the end of the show I told the group of that and there were more questions about Linux than the material Herself presented!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Must say, my iphone just got similarly updated - with all the attendant new features - argh. It is truly ecumenical.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
My work computer sadly uses 10 and it is a PITA. At home my desktop runs 7 with no issues still and my laptop runs Linux.