• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

one less fortress

• Thread starter Deleted member 8987
  • Start date

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Collings Foundation, probably Nine-O-Nine.

What a tragedy from the loss of life to the loss of a warbird. My keychain:

IMG_1238.jpg

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

Last one I flew in was a Collings Group B-17, but it was really Aluminum Overcast. I think.

Their 17 was down for serious maintenance (maybe that was the belly landing issue...can't remember...or a baggage cart) and they pulled one out of a museum with a bad motor, swapped one of theirs in for the tour.

Had to have been close to 20 years ago now. Details.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine-O-Nine

1987 was the biggest before today. Again in 1995 in Norfolk, Nebraska.

Read that link....and three Atomic Tests with a 13-year cool down period...........

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
News reports now confirming that it was the Nine-O-Nine (tail number visible from crash photos matches previous 909 photos as well). Very sad - loss of life as well as the irreplacable aircraft itself. Multiple things had to really go wrong here - these planes were known for being able to stay in the air and bring crew home even with major components shot up or peices outright missing. Witness reports are saying the 909 had at least one engine stopped and trailing smoke but no visible fire until after returning to the runway. The NTSB and FAA are really good at what they do, I have faith they will be able to determine what went wrong.

I rode on the Liberty Belle in 2008, it was lost to an in-flight fire in 2011 but that resulted in no loss of life - they were able to put it down on a farm field (while on fire) and successfully evacuate. I never felt unsafe when I was onboard - it really did seem like a flying tank. The onboard fire was determined to be a fuel valve or fitting that failed in the wing.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Hi all. This morning my brother Steve (visiting from Arizona) and I were at TAC (Bradley Airport in Hartford) waiting for the Collings 909 to land, when it came down. The actual crash was just outside of our view (we were behind the TAC building), but the black smoke was horrendous.

I remember thinking what the heck was happening as the a/c passed over the area - a failing aircraft, completely mis-aligned with the runway. Very sad. Within minutes, about a dozen firetrucks and ambulances, and fire control vehicles, were on the scene. Bradley was closed down immediately to incoming and outgoing flights.

It's 7pm and I just got home; brother Steve is on his way back to Arizona after numerous re-bookings by American Airlines.

Tom M.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Glad to hear from you Tom. My first thought upon hearing of the accident this morning was you, as I had a feeling you were close to the events. Glad you and your brother are safe.

Last edited:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
First report I heard was that a WW-II fighter aircraft had gone in, then an hour later it was confirmed that a bomber of the era was what crashed. Immediate thought was that there were multiple casualties in that case. Folks who'd paid for a ride in it along with crew. What a tragedy.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Some want to ground all vintage planes until they know what happened. Don't see the point in that. Sad situation indeed.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Silver
Country flag
Hope tomorrow is better. I remember Ford taking a plane down on a golf coarse.
My meaning was meant that I hope they don’t ground history and make the aircraft the blame.
RIP please.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Our club, the Austin-Healey Club of New England, has been fortunate to hold some events at the Collings Foundation. It's truly a wonderful resource and memorable for those of us who have some connection to World War II aircraft. I thought this video gives a good background on the work of the foundation and some thoughtful reminders