• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Dcoe????

nomad

Yoda
I'm hoping there are still some Weber DCOE GuRu's on here.:rolleye:

Anyway, I want to lean my idle jet slightly. Currently a 50-F8. Should I drop the orifice size [50] or the air correction [F8]? Does it matter?

Trying to get better cruise mileage.

Kurt

D

Deleted member 8987

Not a guru.....used to work with Webers.....but then we were only interested in how much we could get through them and what it did for acceleration an top end.
http://www.redlineweber.com/html/Tech/dcoe_adjustment_layout_typical_i.htm

I haven't seen a need in days gone by to re-jet idle circuit from factory, as we could adjust idle mixture for each bore AND air bypass.
The amount of mileage change at highway speeds from a slightly rich idle circuit would seemingly be negligible.

How does the pipe smell running warm at idle? Plugs getting black with extended idle?

Just interested.

OP
N

nomad

Yoda
TOC, I haven't done an extended test at idle. Color Tune indicates that it is maybe just a tad rich. I't is my understanding that the idle adjustment screws and the idle jet are what you are mostly using at cruise. I dropped the main from 140 to 135 and it was obviously too lean so my next move would be to tr. y and lean the idle jet a bit. Only getting 25+ MPG while my other Spridget with virtually the same engine but a single HS6 gets low to mid 30's at freeway speed's. With a 7 gallon tank I don't get far between fills. As a friend like's to say about his DCOE carbed Jensen Healey, it will pass everything but a gas station!

Kurt

D

Deleted member 8987

Weird. Yes, I know excessively rich idle mixture works into cruise. But I am trying to remember...too many carbs, mostly downdraught...principles are similar.
Off idle, transition circuit, power circuit, cruise circuit.

Slightly rich, can't recall that affecting cruise mileage, but who knows.

RAM is full.

Need to reboot.

D

Deleted member 8987

"The correct interworking of all circuits together is the ultimate goal of a properly tuned DCOE. However, one must be careful as the circuits overlap one another; it is possible to sometimes fix an over-fuel situation in one circuit by under-fuelling in another. "

Weber calls "transition circuit" "progression"

"The Idle Jet is inappropriately named as it primarily controls the cruise mixture more so than the idle mixture. In fact, the Idle Enrichment Screw directly controls the idle mixture. The Idle Jet simply feeds it.

When cruising along a street or highway in a Datsun, the Progression Circuit is the main contributor to the mixture entering the engine. Only the fuel level and Idle Jet are at play. It is very important to select the correct Idle Jet and set the correct fuel level in a DCOE carb so that a suitable air/fuel ratio at cruise is obtained. In the tuning section below, selecting the correct Idle Jet at cruise will be the first and most crucial step. The mixture at cruise can not be tuned by the main circuit nor can it be significantly tuned by the Idle Enrichment Screw. The cruise mixture must be set by selecting the correct Idle Jet AND by setting the correct fuel level. "

So, it does. Now you need data, so you know how rich it is, try another set of jets, and check again.
You are not in the "main circuit" at cruise, rather the "progression" or "transition" circuit.

All the settings are done from know good and correct fuel level settings.

OP
N

nomad

Yoda
TOC, I thank you for that. Since fitting a DCOE I have had to take a crash course in how these things work and I have seen that site. Neverless I appreciate that.

I'm thinking maybe a call to Redline or Pegasus might be in order or just taking a chance on my next move. Folks with DCOE's DO end up with extra jets and other bits. Like a fool I let a coffee can full of Weber bits go with a car a while back.

D

Deleted member 8987

All those years of messing with Webers...and Mikunis...and Quadraflushes, Thermotoilets...
Zenith, Stromberg, SU's.....even Ford Variable Venturis...and guess who got to work on THOSE in shops?
Like a downdraught Stromberg...crossed with an SU.....and here I am, running 2bbl downdraughts on my Fatheads, and twi single bbl downdraught Solexes on the jag.

Good thing I avoided Hilborn Injection.

OP
N

nomad

Yoda
Pegasus site makes it look as if dropping the F number by 2 might be worth a try. The warnings were right....I'm wracking up a expensive collection of jet's.

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Get on eBay some times you can pickup a used collection there on the cheap