• NOTICE: This "Forum Navigation Questions" forum is only for asking questions related to navigating this web site. DO NOT post car-related questions here., For car-related questions, use the appropriate marque-related forum.
  • The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Thanks button - part 2

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I've been noticing that folks are getting Thanks under their post(s) - but recently the "thanks giver" name doesn't appear.

It'll say something like "The Following User Says Thank You to [whoever] For This Useful Post:"

But the "following user's" username doesn't appear. Example is post number 4 in the Russia F1 thread.

Might be a tad frustrating for some folks.
Tom M.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Ditto:

screenshot.1923.jpg

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Might be due to recent change in PHP version. I’ll have to check when I have sone time

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Well this is weird - In that original Russia F1 thread, I added my thanks to post#4 and it worked. Now shows myself and Walter as having thanked in that post. So I tried a thank in another post that had no thanks (#2 and #5) and my name did show up right away. Will need further investigation - seems it doesn't always fail to list names.

Also, I added my thanks to the Bob_Spidell's post that steveg referenced above and my names and others popped in and displayed. I'm wondering if this problem is left over from before I modified the code to work with the newer PHP? In other words, some posts that had thanks added back when it was throwing those errors (the original problem). Try adding a thanks to some other posts (that you haven't already added thanks to) and see if it works now, and if you see any posts with thanks but missing names, try adding your thanks (if you had not already) and see what happens. If you find a post like that but you had already added thanks before, but names not showing, alert me to the post and let me add my thanks.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Nothing like random and infrequent problems to drive us to distraction.

I looked at #4 post in the Russia F1 thread. Shows two thanks - but no names are shown.

So I thought I'd try thanking Basil for his post (#5) in this Thanks part 2 thread. The thanks button is completely missing. (Maybe I've reached the limit of the number of thanks I can give?)

oy.
Tom M.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Nothing like random and infrequent problems to drive us to distraction.

I looked at #4 post in the Russia F1 thread. Shows two thanks - but no names are shown.

So I thought I'd try thanking Basil for his post (#5) in this Thanks part 2 thread. The thanks button is completely missing. (Maybe I've reached the limit of the number of thanks I can give?)

oy.
Tom M.

Ok, this is interesting. When I was in that F1 thread earlier and added my thanks, the names DID show up. However, when I just went back to it again, the names were not there! Hmmm. As for the thanks button missing - it is not available in all forums. That is by design and not a problem.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
So I reverted back to earlier PHP and the problem is fixed (I think) so it seems the issue is that the "Thanks" feature, for whatever reason, doesn't play nice with a newer version of PHP. I'm hoping I can figure out why the Thanks doesn't work with newer PHP and hopefully fix the code to work as I really don't want to continue to run on an unsupported earlier version of PHP.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Success! (I think)> I have modified the code again and it seems to be working with the newer version of PHP (so far). Let me know if you run into any other problems.