• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Engine plate question

LionelJrudd

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Is the front engine plate completely flat. Mine is slightly bent at the right hand engine mount. (Viewed from the front of the car) Could be damaged from a collision because it looks like the bend extends into the area where the timing cover bolts on. Looks easy enough to press flat if that is how it is supposed to be.
IMG_2116.jpg
As an aside, someone has previously enlarged the holes fot the engine mounts with an oxy acetylene torch. Had to refill them with the tig, grind back with a flapper disc and redrill the holes.
IMG_2114.jpg

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yes, I believe it is supposed to be flat.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
That plate is very vulnerable to bending from even minor impacts. My TR3 had been hit in the front and repaired before I bought it. That plate was not part of the repair even though it was bent more than 10 degrees. I drove it for many years that way and never noticed the bend until I found I was unable to withdraw the steering box.
I found a good used one but I think it could be straightened although I never tried it. I think you can get a new one in aluminum.
Tom

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Yes I believe they are flat also. There is a spot where the timing chain tensioner rides and in that area a grove is often cut. The fix is what you did with the holes in that you fill it in and grind it flat. Plus many times the little hole for the stud that holds the timing tensioner is striped. I think it has like 3 threads and the stud should sit perpendicular to the front plate or it could rub the tensioner uneven. Those tensioners can be fickle and when they act up the repair is a deep dive to fix them.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If you are interested in an aluminum one, email Joe at N197tr4@cs.com I don't know if he still has any available or not, but he got a run of them made a few years back.

OP
L

LionelJrudd

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks for the confirmations gentlemen. I will just put the plate on the press and should be able to iron the wrinkle out.
Aluminium sounds nice Randall, but this is definitely low budget work and very little new stuff other than absolutely necessary or what I can repair or fabricate myself is being used.