• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I hate this

• Thread starter Deleted member 8987
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8987

So, the MK2 has had wiper issues. When I got it, near as we can tell, Morris Minor motor, wrong sweep, park contacts missing.

THREE used motors, got correct motor, correct sweep worm gar, park contacts, then had to find the wiring hack to make it park for RHD.

Couple of weeks ago, RH wiper...arm started jerking, got out of sync....pulled the arms and rack, cleaned, inspected and lubed, rotated wheelbox shafts 180, to find hopefully good teeth....and tried to order a wheelbox with a part number in hand.

Nothing. Maybe evilbait, but what then?

EVERYBODY wants to sell you an uprated wiper system for $650 or so, and not interested. FAR too much moolah.

Got a friend in Louisiana who has a Jaguar Garden in his back yard, had some, sent me two.

Cleaned one up, lubed it up, spent an enjoyable (HA!) several hours swapping it out, checked rack in the wheelbox area, looked good, buttoned up and all works.

Just for safety, figured I get a new rack (cable). No dice. Buy an uprated system.

I can get all I need for a 70 year old Ford, buy not a Jag?

Wipers inadequate? Mine worked fine, two speed, in downpours.

What's the deal? Just want to sell new stuff,and they have no individual parts FOR that new system, so one part fails and another $650 or so?

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Nobody wants to make these parts. When I need something, I know what isn't available here so I got to England by way of ebay. Might try contacting on of the jag clubs in England and see what they have. Cost me $400 in shipping for 3 boxes of patch panels for the MK1 and most of the things I buy of ebay.uk ships for $20. Try the club, got to cost less than $650.

Last edited:
OP
D

Deleted member 8987

I did more inspection. Top 1/2 of 2/3 of the teeth wore off.

Cleaned and compared to the second unit I got.

Dug out my numbered drill bits and dial caliper. Old gear OD is about .005"+ smaller than the "new" one.

Shouldn't be a problem.

Then I looked at the housing "shelf" that the rack, worm, cable rubs on and holds the gears in mesh. Looks odd.

Laid numbered drill shanks in, slid from one end, onto some of the undamaged teeth and compared to "new" unit.

Old shelf is dished...badly....and there is at least .015" MORE clearance.

Could be a problem.

As far as nobody wants to make these parts...they sure stepped up to the plate for $650 for a complete new system.

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Dave, I have 3 DR3 wiper motors in various states of decomposition, one has original cable.

three-DR-3-wiper-motors.jpg

also, EAST COAST JAGUAR in Delaware has the parts, rebuild services, and/or exchange for rebuilt motor.

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

Jose- Motor works fine, it was the wheelboxes (arms connect to) that are the problem.Nobody has wheelboxes retail any more. They want to sell you a uprated kit, new motor, cable, tubes and wheelboxes, and probably arms, with no apparent replacement parts available, for $650US, more or less.The wear is on the bottom shelf, or lip, inside the wheelbox, that holds the cable against the gear. Once the wear gets to be enough, the gear strips.Have not found a specific maintenance suggestion...pulling the cable, clean and grease, and re-install is one.Another is to remove the top dash cap, use a needle adaptor on a grease gun and inject in the gaps of the box. Pump oiler in a pinch.

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

Yeah, I did too. Until you tried to order them, then "not in stock". Lots of evilbait, but who knows what kind of condition? One looked promising, NOS with the box...until research showed it to be a scam site out of Germany. Not sure what their deal is, or was....steal photos from elsewhere.Regular suppliers, nope. SNG, Moss, XKS, all came up snake eyes.Except for that $650 option. Lots of calls. No joy within reason. Just finished a clutch master rebuild, bled, adjusted, found a heater hose leaking, replaced that....drive again tomorrow.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hey, TOC, they have two wheel boxes for 120/140/150 on ebay.uk for $150. Might be close to what you need. Page 21.

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

First post:
"Got a friend in Louisiana who has a Jaguar Garden in his back yard, had some, sent me two.

Cleaned one up, lubed it up, spent an enjoyable (HA!) several hours swapping it out, checked rack in the wheelbox area, looked good, buttoned up and all works. "

Got two, cleaned and installed.

I would have to get the part number and compare to the XK units, but when I looked initially, seemed the shaft length was totally different.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Thank God for decent friends. Enjoyed doing it didn't you, now you can drive in the rain.

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

and I have been. Often. Soon, it will be in snow, and these are not good snow machines. BTDT.

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have a friend who daily drives a later model XK R. He took the wiper arms off both sides and relies on Rain X to repel rain water off the windscreen.

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

Ah, but them you get to deal with the CHP and no wipers.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
RainX isn't supposed to be used without wipers, just extra help to clear winshield. So, he probably seldom drives car in the rain.

Country flag
I'd bet that the $650 new system is something someone found would work with minimal actual specific new bits, just a combination of off the shelf bits with perhaps the cable lengthened/shortened to fit.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The parts are only for one particular model, makes it hard for someone to take the time and money to reproduce. Unless, every Jag enthusiast buys a model and makes it worthwhile.