• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Windscreen galss replacement

BobbyO

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
After about 4 or 5 years the glass in my windscreen decided to break. Went into the garage one morning and it had cracked on the passenger side about 2/3 of the way from the bottom up. Checked it a couple of days later and it had cracked the rest of the way. I now have a new glass which I'll install when the weather gets cooler and there's less driving to do. Now, my question is can I expect to be able to reuse the existing glazing strip or should I plan to buy new. I know I'm penny pinching but I hate paying the "shipping and handling" on inexpensive items. I've seen where some individuals use electrical tape for the installation but I don't think I want to do that. Thanks for your opinion.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
My suggestion would be to go ahead and pop for the new glazing strip. It gets trimmed after installation, and I'm guessing it will be hard to hold it precisely in position while pushing the glass into the frame and frame onto the glass. FWIW, I've heard that there are two different thicknesses, to match the glass thickness (thinner glass uses a thicker strip).

But I just took my glass and frame to an automotive glass shop, and paid them to do the installation. Price was reasonable (tho not cheap), and they supplied the right glazing strip. $20 in 1978 IIRC.

While you're at it, double check that none of the screws protrude into the frame enough to touch the glass. The stanchion screws are two different lengths, the longer ones have to go in the bottom holes. Any point contact (like the tip of a screw) is apt to cause the glass to break in the future, even if it doesn't break right away.

Also make sure the rubber buffer in front of the inside mirror is in good condition. That's why mine broke, the rubber piece had fallen out and I didn't do anything about it right away.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
It sucks when you need something that is only a few $$ and have to pay more in shipping than the part costs.

We need to get a joint order and share the hipping.

David

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I looked at doing it myself with a new glazing strip but it would have been almost imposable even with a helper so I took it to a professional and he used a U chanel rubber strip that did an excellent job.

Graham
P1010305.jpg

PeterK

Yoda
I've heard that using to top corner of the the windshield frame as a handle to extract oneself from the car WILL result in such a crack. I respectfully warn my passengers.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Not only the glass comes in different thickness so do the rubber glazing strips; it depends on the vender. If the glass is stock, it is very think and you will probably need to go to a glass shop to get the correct thickness. I purchase the glazing from them and they usually just give it to you. Then I take the glass put the glazing on edge evenly and wrap the glass with the glazing use black or blue masking tape and go completely around the glass end to end. Not just along the edge, but around the piece of glass and with about 5 cross overs them jamb the glass into the frame rubber and all put those 4 little screws in and trim the glazing away with a utility knife. The guy at the glass shop should me how to do it that way. I have probably done it 6 times. The difficult part is getting the rubber in on the bottom when you are done. Use WD40 not dish soap and purchase a new kit of the corner brackets with 4 screws per side because the original ones are usually rust out. And be careful of the chrome post screws because they are different length and can go in too far and hit the glass edge and crack it. not a difficult job