• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Does anyone recall...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Getting a Gilbert Chemistry Set?

I should have taken a photo of one before I tossed it. I think I was ten when I got it.

Along with an Erector Set and a "rock hound" kit with an ultraviolet lamp and several sample rocks of various origin.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Yep - had the Gilbert chemistry set, an Erector set, a Lincoln Logs set, an American Brick set, *and* a Geniac electro-mechanical computer kit! Still have the Geniac.

Tom M.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I also had an Erector set and the Visable V8 Engine Kit. Oh and my favorite: Estes model rockets.
Dem were the days.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Gilbert Chem Set - can't have that anymore, sodium cyanide
Erector Sets - Nope, sharp edges on stamped steel
Cap guns/ Caps - Uh, uh. Danger of hearing loss. Especially if you strike a whole roll of caps with a rock
American Brick - Are you kidding? Did you ever step on one in your bare feet?
Lincoln Logs - Splinter hazards
Gas engine airplane - Fuel causes halucinations. Prop kicks back on starting cutting fingers
Bicycle - Not without a Snell Approved helmet
Lawn Darts - Death from Above
Model Cars - Not without an adult so you don't huff the Testor's
Slip N' Slide - Need a rider for Mom and Dad's liability insurance
BB Gun - "You'll Put Your Eye Out"

No wonder today's kids can only play video games

My favorite game was to tie a long string to the axle of my Erector set motor with the other end tied to a rubber tank. I'd build obstructions made of American Brick walls and Lincoln Logs manned by hundreds of army men laid out along the track of the string. Start up the electric motor and as it reeled in the tank, mayhem would ensue. No obstacle could stop the torque of that Erector set motor.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Elliot said:
Dem were the days.

I'll say. *sigh*

I'd forgotten the Visible V-8! Yup. Explained well the "suck-squish-bang-f*rt" to me. Got one for Herself many decades later, in the '70's, so she could envision what was going on in an engine. Marvelous teaching aid.

Still have American Flyer trains, boxes of rolling stock, track, etc, languishing in the attic.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Yep, had an Erector Set. Still have a bunch of American Flyer trains and had a chemistry set, until I made hydrogen sulfide (I think it was) in the house.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
We had Meccano in the UK.
Had a brick set that consisted of smallish bricks that you glued together with a water soluble paste. Do not remember the name of the set.
Chemistry set with all the lethal stuff including the bunion burner and rubber tube to fit on the gas supply.
Pump up rocket that was water powered. Would go right over the house if you gave some extra pumps.
My friend did not have a kids bicycle so he rode an adult one but had to ride positioned below the cross bar.

David

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I had a Chemcraft set not a Gilbert. Made in Hagerstown, MD I believe. The only thing I ever made was black powder for dynamite- sulfur, sodium nitrate and powdered charcoal as I recall. Packed it tightly and lit it. It just burned. No explosion, so I lost interest and never made anything else.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Making black powder is like making bread.
In both cases you have to get it mixed up just right for it to work.

David

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Interesting video, that.

We played with mercury in Grandad's basement, rubbing it into dimes and quarters. Back when they were silver. No gloves. He had a calcium carbide lamp for his miner's hat, we had some fun with that as well. Collected the gas in a small paper bag, rolled it closed, placed it (outdoors!) in a pan with a candle tied to a string to pull the base over to light the bag... :cool:

He also demonstrated steel wool and aluminum filings. :scared:

Grandad was fun. A couple of Grandma's metal pie plates suffered, though.

Country flag
I remember mixing random things from my Gilbert’s set to see what would happen. Got a blackish substance that I convinced myself was growing. I was afraid to go up in the attic where it was for weeks, was unsure what I’d find!

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I had a microscope, only thing I ever grew were amoeba. They were about the only small moving thing the 'scope was capable of seeing. I'm no germaphobe bu seeing those things made me a regular hand washer!

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Hydrochloric acid. Never tried Clorox but it oughta work, too.

High school chem lab would stink up the whole second floor with it.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Still have these...though I haven't played with them in awhile.

339D692E-9667-4FF8-9ED0-3749FA9316E7-1334-000000CE8512B594_zpsc1e4c0a0.jpg

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Still have the Erector Set. Red metal box.

Moved on to chemistry lab in college. A couple of the guys were trying to make LSD.

Country flag
I had that wood burning set!

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Still have these...though I haven't played with them in awhile.

View attachment 60670

OMG, were you that kid that kept everything neat in its original boxes? I was the opposite, there wasn't a toy that could withstand my brutality. I forgot about the woodburning set in my list of toys too dangerous for today's kids. Loved the smell of that burning wood. I suppose it's no accident we all had the same toys as kids, there probably just wasn't that big of a selection. Here's another one I bet a lot of us had. Although it didn't improve my carpentry skills any, it probably got me used to working with tools and a willingness to try fixing something. I'll tackle many improvement projects or mechanical repairs, even if I fail. Now, many kids don't seem to be willing to try the simplest projects.
vintage-1960s-Handy-Andy-Tool-Set-Blue-Diamond.jpg