• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Pdwa

STeve 1958

Jedi Hopeful
People keep referring to the PDWA, but as far as I know the TR3A just has a Residual pressure valve.
That said is the valve easy to remove in place, without unhooking all the hydraulic lines?
Will the fluid all run out, or can I clean and replace without a major headache?
I don't want to get into a big project right now as I'm showing the car on Sunday.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
TR3A does not have a PDWA, it is only found on later Triumphs with split braking systems. Since the TR2-4A used single systems, there is only one pressure and nothing to compare it to. Also no brake warning lamp for it to actuate.

If you block the brake pedal down a bit, you won't lose too much fluid while R&R the RPV. Otherwise, the reservoir contents will dribble out the disconnected line the whole time it is disconnected. Obviously, you have to undo the line on top of the valve before you can unscrew the valve body from the 5-way connector.

Not something I'd tackle 3 days before a show; unless you can't go with it the way it is.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If you always have to pump the pedal, then that valve is not likely to be the problem, IMO. I disabled mine long ago, and the difference only shows up after really hard cornering.

One point sometimes overlooked: the workshop manual has the wrong clearance for the front wheel bearings. It was later revised downwards, to 1/2 flat, and then even later to .004" measured without the felt seal in place. Running with the bearings too loose can cause low pedal.

OP
S

STeve 1958

Jedi Hopeful
When I bleed the brakes really well, they were firm for about a week. Then after a long drive they got soft again in the morning. You might be right about the bearings.
Steve

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That's a puzzler, I can't think of anything offhand to cause that. Any chance the spring inside the MC is broken?

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I had a soft brake pedal problem a while ago.

Two problems.
Rear brakes not adjusted to the book.
Front wheel bearing a bit lose.
Addressed both problems and the brakes are fine now.

David