• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Positive ground radio

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Is there any value/potential use to anybody for this positive ground radio???

I've had this in my pile of spares for about 40 years & have no use for it (trying to clear some clutter).

Don't know if it works but I hate to toss it into the garbage if anyone can use it. Obviously pretty rough, broken push buttons & missing knob.

If it has any value fine, but I'm not looking to make a profit - if it has a potential to be useful to someone, I'll give it to anyone willing to pay the postage.
(don't expect it has any real value but, if it does, you can offer me something for 40+ years storage :smile:)

Dave

IMG_2453.jpgIMG_2454.jpgIMG_2458.jpg

p.s. hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting it here, if so, let me know & I'll remove it.

Last edited:

BLong63AH

Country flag
Dave,do you know what year it might be? I would be interested but I have no idea of value.
You can PM me if would like.
THanks,
Bryan

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Dave,

There is always someone looking for something.

I have also had my original +Ground radio on the shelf but for only 3-decades. Since i expect to die owning my Healey, I keep it to allow the next care taker to travel back in time and undo the changes I have made. An example of that is when I changed to -Ground, I installed a full sound system in a newly fabricated console that has the look and feal of the original but is 1" wider at the dash end needed to house the new components. The original console, with original radio, was then placed on the shelf for a future concourse resurection.

I appreciate that this may not be your objective but your action may allow someone else to follow this path back in time.

All the best,
Ray(64Bj8P1)

OP
red57

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi Bryan, sent you a PM but can't figure out a way to know if I was sucessful.....

Also, while looking for a date I saw something I had never noticed before. Inside the tuning window behind the numbers is B. M. C. So it seems it was made specifially for BMC - don't know if that means for Healey or something else??
Can't insert a picture from my computer in PM mode so I'll ad it here.
IMG_2462.jpg

Dave

OP
red57

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
This is turning into a curious exercise. I noticed the scales are different but never lived in Europe so don't have a clue. I've heard they are different but don't know how. All I know about it is that it was laying loose along with other odd bits & spares in the boot of my BT7 when I bought it in the '80s - and I never throw anything away:eek:. But I'm now trying to find more space in my shop and finding things I forgot I had. This is one problem with living in the same house and playing in the same shop for over 35 years.....

Dave

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Let's see, FM means frequency modulation. AM is amplitude modulation. Does anyone actually listen to AM radio anymore? I haven't since I heard the first stero FM broadcasts in the early 1960s. " Hey man, tune in they're playing the full length version of "Light My Fire" and it's in stereo". Far out!

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The "dial" doesn't look like our regular AM or FM dials. I wonder if it is for European frequencies?

It's metric.

Anyone else notice the freqs increase from right to left, bass-ackwards from my BJ8's 'original' radio:

IMG_0255.jpg

Read/heard most Brit radios were made by Motorola (European division, maybe?). IIRC, mine says 'Motorola' on it somewhere.

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Anyone else notice the freqs increase from right to left, bass-ackwards from my BJ8's 'original' radio

Bob is it backwards? Remember the English drive on the other side of the road. Perhaps it's correct if your driving setting in the right hand seat.
:smile-new:

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi All,

Here is an image of a mid to late 1960s Radiomobile transistor radio targetted for European use. As you can see, the dial shows a similar reverse order (from US radios) as Dave's radio is pictured to have. By the displayed frequencies and their arrangement, I am now wondering if Dave's radio was targeted for use in some area in Europe or else ware (Australia/India/etc.) that positive earth British cars were prevalent.

radiomobile_01.jpg

Just a thought,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
(Slightly) OT: I've never driven a RHD Healey (or any RHD car, for that matter). Are the shift patterns reversed--e.g. first is upper right instead of upper left and fourth is bottom left instead of bottom right--and, if not, why not, if this logic is followed (if the radio dial is reversed; i.e. 'mirror imaged')?

Arabic is the only language I know of that reads right-to-left (possibly Farsi as well), do they order numbers in reverse as well (I believe our numbering system was developed in Arabia, right?).

Edit: Side note: AFAIK, both RHD and LHD cars have the emergency brake on the RH side of the console, which is a bit of a pain in LHD cars if your passenger is resting his/her arm on the console when you need it.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I've driven a RHD Ford in the UK. The shift pattern in a RHD car is the same as in a LHD car. Making it the reverse would require a mirror image transmission.

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The shift pattern on all RHD cars I have driven are the same as we are used too. Some really old cars, (1900 to 1915 or so) had unusual gear patterns.