• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

No more Bosch tools for me

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
After having bought lots of Bosch tools over the years they have lost a customer.

Earlier this year I got a nice new set of 18v Li-ion drill and impact driver. the good quality Blue tools.
Yesterday I picked up a Bosch green dustbuster type rechargeable vacuum and surprise surprise they use a different type of 18v Li rechargeable batteries for the green (cheaper) products with an incompatible connector. Back to the store with it.

This is the second time I have been annoyed by Bosch incompatibilities recently, I bought an oscillating saw and discovered that Bosch also uses an incompatible mounting system for their blades so you can only use official Bosch brand blades.

Their Blue colored pro grade tools are well made and I have quite a few of them but this need to make everything so proprietary :greedy_dollars::greedy_dollars: but next time I need a tool I am going to take a very good look at Makita...

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I have had great longevity with Makita. My drill, flashlight set, I traded HO trains for, in the late 80s and still going strong. My circlular saw 7 1/2" has been cutting for 30 yrs.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I have to give kudos to Black and Decker for sticking with their 20 volt lithium ion battery pack for several years now. I got a drill/driver with a two speed gearbox, one for torque in driving screws, the other for drilling, not high end but a nice unit, anyway bought the drill with two batteries, bought a weed whacker a year or two later, two batteries used the same pack. So now I have four batteries and two chargers. The drill quit (very well used, dropped, used some more, big projects, no complaints) got another drill to replace, same battery pack, batteries all still hold a full charge, they last a long time, but I have a swap out ready to go no matter how big the project, very handy.

I was almost ready to give up on battery powered tools as the batteries seemed to quit in a couple years, and to replace, if you even could, was as expensive as buying a new tool, but the B & D quality and sticking to the design for several years is refreshing.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I have to give kudos to Black and Decker for sticking with their 20 volt lithium ion battery pack for several years now. I got a drill/driver with a two speed gearbox, one for torque in driving screws, the other for drilling, not high end but a nice unit, anyway bought the drill with two batteries, bought a weed whacker a year or two later, two batteries used the same pack. So now I have four batteries and two chargers. The drill quit (very well used, dropped, used some more, big projects, no complaints) got another drill to replace, same battery pack, batteries all still hold a full charge, they last a long time, but I have a swap out ready to go no matter how big the project, very handy.

I was almost ready to give up on battery powered tools as the batteries seemed to quit in a couple years, and to replace, if you even could, was as expensive as buying a new tool, but the B & D quality and sticking to the design for several years is refreshing.

good to know. My son gave me a DeWalt drill for Christmas last year and I love it. An informal survey suggests that with a sale it might make more sense to buy a new tool with batteries rather than buying replacement batteries alone.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
About 5 years ago the wife gave me a Black & Decker drill for Christmas, I've used that drill for everything imaginable including square drive long deck screws, about a thousand of them. I have two batteries and when using the drill for a long period of time, one battery is always on charge. I've had other brands, but none as good as the B&D! Torque preset works perfectly, work light when you pull the trigger etc. Batteries last a long time. I love it. :encouragement: PJ