• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Oil? Oil Pressure?

HighAltitudeTR3

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Is it ok to run 5W30? My oil pressure is all over the map. It was 60-70 psi @ ~3000 RPM. But then it dropped to like 20 at idle (I run my idle around 1,000RPM). I’m guessing this is from the oil I used. Is this safe? 20psi seems very low, but 70 psi seems good. I can thinken it up with Lucas oil, unless this seems ok. 🤷🏻*♂️

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm with Andy here. Most British car folks have Castrol 20W50 runnin' through their veins. :wink:

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Yeah, 20W50 or 10W40 should be fine for the cooler temps in CO. Also, there are concerns by many about the lower amount of ZDDP in modern oils made for cars with O2 sensors, and the effect it has on flat tappet cams such as the Triumph has. You can google that and have enough reading for a month or so. There are oils that have sufficient amounts of ZDDP, so probably best to search them out. I use 20W50 Valvoline VR1 Racing oil. There are ZDDP additives, but better to leave the oil chemistry to the pros. Your oil pressure values are normal. Since the oil pump is spinning at lower speeds at idle, less oil volume and pressure are produced. As RPMs increase, there's an oil pressure relief valve in the system that limits the pressures to between 60-70 PSI. It is adjustable, but yours is where it should be.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I've been running 5w-30 for 3 years with no issues, and plan to try 0w-20 at the next oil change. Using 20w-50 was started to extend the life of long worn-out engines, with excessive bearing clearances and low pressure as a result. Since most of our cars are over 50 years old, and well worn, most are using 20w-50.

20 PSI at idle is fine.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I've never been too fussy about engine oil and have had little success at raising oil pressure with heavier oil. I do however try lately to use ZDDP(Zinc dialkyldithiophosphate) oils as the evidence for its use seems quite compelling. I'm using Lucas Hot Rod Oil, 10-40 right now, mainly because it was available locally and only slightly outrageous in price.
The Castrol cans would look better on my shelf so I looked into that. The Castrol Classic XL 20x/50 is $29.85 per gallon right now from Rimmers but if you happen to have a Fiat Dino, that same gallon of Castrol Classic XL 20x/50 is $109.00 https://www.ebay.com/i/312366566221...MIh6jo-5_u5AIVVeWGCh3AkAS9EAkYBSABEgJEZfD_BwE. I'll bet if you have a Ferrari it is even more.
I sure am glad I have have British cars.
Tom

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
......... Using 20w-50 was started to extend the life of long worn-out engines,..........
Is that so ? The part about the 20w-50..I thought that recommendation was for new engines as well. I know that viscosity is a common recommendation in the TR6 owners handbook. New TR3 engines had different requirements or recommendations in their manuals ?

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
The manual for the TR2/TR3 is of little help although there may have been a service bulletin on recommended oils at some point. There were no multi viscosity oils at the time and I think the viscosity rating systems have changed too. I do remember putting 50w in mine in my youth when the idle pressure bounced on zero and the bearings started to complain audibly but for what it's worth here's what the FSM says about SAE rating:
Temp F. SAE
>70.....................40
40 to 70.............30
10 to 40.............20
-10 to 10.............10
<-10.....................5

If I followed the book, I'd have to change the oil several times a day here on New England.
Tom

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Is that so ? The part about the 20w-50..I thought that recommendation was for new engines as well. I know that viscosity is a common recommendation in the TR6 owners handbook. New TR3 engines had different requirements or recommendations in their manuals ?

I’ve rebuilt a lot of cars on quite a few forums. It’s predictable...while the cars are still new, the recommendations are straight out of the manual, but in threads about vintage (read old) cars, everyone is using 20w-50, as it’s the thickest you can easily find. Not just a Triumph thing...more of an old car thing. I figure the majority of owners will tackle a few minor repairs, but the number willing to rebuild an entire engine is actually very few in the big picture. It’s so much easier to use a thicker oil than to replace all the bearings.